Chapter 8

Jaime. He was Jaime bloody Lannister. Not Jaime a servant, not Jaime a cook, no, not even Jaime a simple unknown knight of the city watch. He was Jaime Lannister aka the kingslayer.

Of all the men I could have met in kings landing, of all the men I could have been interested to meet again, it had to be a bloody Lannister. No, THE Lannister. I knew my father was thousands of miles away but in this moment it felt as if his dark eyes were starring at me with the same not amused look as I could see in the eyes of the rest of my family.

„Apparently you already became acquainted with each other?" the queen asked softly.

She sounded as if she was delighted about it, but her eyes said the opposite. Pure hate and some kind of envy.

I gulped, insecure what I should say next. If I told them that our first meeting had been in a tavern, I'd be sure as hell that my uncle wouldn't let me out of his eyes for a single second. Fortunately Jaime was the one who saved the situation.

„I've met Princess Elia a few days ago on the market, sweet sister. She asked me how she could find the way back to the castle, because she has never been in Kings Landing before. I saw it as my duty to explain it to her, before she ends up at fleebottom. You know how much they hate high born people down there and I couldn't allow anyone to harm our guests, especially when the are taking care of your daughter, your grace."

He was definitely intelligent. Taking his sisters rage down by reminding her that Myrcella was still in Dorne.

She didn't seemed completely convinced but at least the hate disappeared.

„Well, I'm glad my brother found you. The people in flee bottom are disgusting and despiceful."

„I am thankful too, your grace. It would have been such a shame if anything had happened to my niece." My uncle said, even he didn't sound as convinced as the queen was. He knew that Jaime lied. Oberyn always knew it.

„If you may excuse us? I would like to talk a walk with my niece und enjoy the atmosphere of the lovely wedding."

The queen nodded, a simply sign that we were excused.

I avoided to look at Jaime. I still couldn't believe it. Jamie Lannister. Well, I should have known it. Getting into trouble was something I always did, no matter if it was planned or not. The gods were cruel. Sending an interesting man, who was the enemy within for my family.

„Is there anything you would like to tell my, Elia Martell?"

I gulped. My uncle using my full name? That was never a good sign.

I looked at him with my puppy-eyes-look and smiled innocently.

„Only that I like the feast, uncle?"

„Only the feast?", he answered sharp, „not Jamie Lannister?"

My eyes widen.

„Oncle, he just saved me, I don't - "

„Don't do this, little niece. It might work in Dorne, but not here. There is someone in Kings Landing who is called the spider. His name is Lord Varys. He has his eyes everywhere, also in the Tavern where you were seen with that man and with the same one in the woods. He must have known who that blond man was, but didn't tell me. Damn Varys. I would have killed that bastard of a Lannister for touching my blood."

I stopped walking and crossed my arms in front of my chest.

„He didn't „touch" me, uncle. We nearly fought with swords. I'm not a whore, just because I'm dornish!"

He gave me a furious look.

„I will give you an advice, my little niece. Stay away from him. His family gave the woman who's name you're sharing a lot of pain. Decide wisely, Elia. The Lannisters are our enemies and nothing will ever change that."

„He's not like them, uncle. He cares about other people. I think he's different."

Oberyns eyes became darker.

„I gave your father a promise to keep you safe and I intend to keep it. This family is toxic"

„If it's the whole family, why is Tristan allowed to marry Myrcella?"

„Enough, Elia. You will not see him again. Enjoy the feast. And don't forget - I have my eyes on you."

He turned around and walked to Ellaria while I was fighting against the urge to cry.

I didn't know why I was about to cry. It's not like I knew Jamie. It was just a nice feeling to spend time with him, it was not like I was looking for a husband or a lover.

As much as I hated to admit - a part of me knew that my uncle was right.

The Lannisters were dangerous and yet I couldn't resist the idea to see Jamie.