4. Royal

"Peace was supposed to be maintained between us and them!" The King shouted at the Prince. "We always taught you to respect the worlds creatures, what excuse could you possibly have to think it's alright to perform such a malicious act against the Princess of the sea?"

"She killed one of our villagers, I wasn't going to just let that go." The Prince defended.

"Is this the kind of King you want to be? The kind of King you want to be remembered for?"

"What about you?!" The Prince yells. "What kind of King keeps a secret like this? What kind of father doesn't tell his son that he is already matched up to be married?"

"Eli..." The Queen steps in, her voice tired as she sat on the comfortable couch in the King's study. "When this plan went into affect, our people were desperate. We were all desperate. Your father and I, we made a deal with the King of the sea to stop the war that was taking place. Hundreds of lives were lost, on land and in the sea. The ocean crashed on to the shore in the color of red, bloodshed was everywhere. This war was caused by the love of two people from different worlds. The promise of marriage between two royal bloods that would signify unity and peace, was the only way people made sense of why the war should be stopped."

"However," The King says in a sigh, leaning back into his chair that was planted before his desk. "You and the princess were in danger, near instantly of this deal. Some people, from land and sea, wouldn't agree to this treaty. They found it disgusting and unholy. You were assigned gaurds to watch over you every hour of everyday, since the age of four. Moani was only a few months old when all of this happened. The King of the sea found it hard to trust anyone, and instead, told his people that his daughter had died during the battle. She lived with their shawman, a young yet wise mermaid that had taught her skills of protection and speech. Her parents always visited her, so she always knew who she was but it wasn't until recent that she finally turned twenty. The perfect age to marry, in her people's eyes."

"But this is not your life we are talking about." The Prince says, his eyes staring forward, blankly at the King. "I should have a say in who I choose to marry and love."

"You can say whatever you want, you can choose to hate this idea. Because you're right. This is not my life that we are talking about. We are talking about the lives of our people, the safety it will bring them with this union. The force of peace that will take action the moment the ceremony is over, could save many lives. In your generation of being King and even beyond that."

"I..."

"Just know that I would've never had done this to you, if I thought that I had any other choice to stop that brutal war twenty years ago." The King says as he stood from his chair and walked over to the Prince. The King then rested a hand on the Prince's cheek and stared direction into his eyes. "I do love you, Eli. And you will make a great King because I know you will always end up doing the right thing. No matter how hard it may be."

Prince Elijah bowed his head before turning away and walking to the exit, his head a mess of thoughts.

"Oh, and Eli?" The King says, returning himself to his seat. "You don't have to love her. You just have to marry her and give her an heir."

* * *

"I can't believe they would do this! The treaty is off, I will kill every single one of these humans!"

"Please, calm down." Moani's mother begged of her father as she leaned over her daughter, who rested in a large and soft bed within the land castle.

The chamber room was made up quickly, to allow the little mermaid to rest and heal.

"How can you be so calm when they've done this to our only daughter?! What could she have possibly done to deserve what happened to her? Can you even imagine her doing anything deserving of a lashing?"

"Well... No-"

"I'll tell you why they did it; because we're different. Humans can't truly accept change, and this is the outcome!"

"No.. " Moani whimpers quietly, voice strained and throat dry. "They blamed me...for the death...of an innocent man.. "

"You couldn't possibly kill-" Moani's mother started, but Moani shook her head.

"Blamed...me. He died in..the water. Water.. May I have some water?" Moani sat up as her mother brought over a tray with a pitcher of cool water and a few cups.

Moani's hand automatically reached out and took the large pitcher, holding the edge over her lips and swallowing every last drop to roll from the glass.

"More please." She says quietly, her skin noticably brightening with the hydration.

After three pitchers, Moani accepted a cup and sipped from time to time as she explained everything that happened to her parents; the cause for the lashes and story leading up to it.

Moani's father was pacing by the end of his daughters explanation, happy that the water soothed her sore throat and she could speak comfortably.

"It was a misunderstanding." She says after a silent minute. "Don't let your heart and soul be filled with hatred, father. Anger is like sea foam. It's icky."

A knock on the door made the settling trio-family tense up.

"Prince Elijah is here to see Princess Moani." Berta, the mermaid shawman, says as she peeked her head into the room. "May he enter with me?"

"You may enter, Berta, but I don't want that boy anywhere near my daughter." Moani's father said, loud enough for the Prince to hear.

"Sir. I trust him." Berta's voice was simple and sweet, but her words held a deeper meaning.

To gain Berta's trust, you must allow her into your mind. Speak with her about any part of yourself, and her heart is said to vibrate if there is sincerity, and that's how she knows your soul.

"I... Berta..." Moani's father was stunted for words, scrambling to come up with any excuse as to not agree with someone who has never let our pod down before.

"Great!" Berta cheers as she pushes the door open. "Let's properly introduce you two!"