『 CHAPT. 2 』

© 𝐞𝐱𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐬, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟎

❝ the truth. ❞

              Kentrell instantly ran to Dexter's now lifeless body, shocked that he even had to shoot the man. The crowd was stunned behind him, Joseph running to his partners side quickly. " Oh shit.." Ken mumbled, he had never really had to shoot anyone before— especially not in front of the whole entire town. Kentrell pressed his fingers to the man's upper throat, no pulse found. Joe stood behind him, a slight frown to his face. This had not gone as planned.

⤵︎

Kentrell rubbed a hand over his face, continuing to sign the papers that belonged to the morgue. He glanced at the now dead body, a gunshot wound through the chest. The man almost threw up. " I'll have blood alcohol for you in the morning," the mortician started, taking the clipboard from the sheriff that stood in front him. " The full fox screen will take about a week." he finished, placing the files into a folder. Joseph walked into the room, two coffee cups in hand. " How you holding up, Kentrell?" the white man asked, seeing as he did just kill someone.

Ken ignored the man, turning his attention to his deputy. " Dianne here yet?" the man questioned, a small frown decorating his features. Taymor had broke the news to the woman— that her husband had been killed. Ken and Joe both knew the woman wouldn't take the new lightly.

" She just walked in with her son-," Joseph was cut off when Ken suddenly walked off, going to meet the woman and her son in the funeral area. Kentrell huffed out a sigh as he reached the funeral area, being stopped by the priest for a quick second.

" Ken- maybe now is not the best time." the man stated, but Kentrell continued to approach the woman and her son. Ken's eyes were filled with guilt at the crying woman, and saddened boy. What had he done? Kilt a father, a husband. The man couldn't feel any worse than he already felt. Lifting up his head, Derrick— Dexter's son, slightly scoffed at Kentrell before his mother placed a hand to his chest, telling him to calm down.

" Uh- hey, Derrick," Kentrell started awkwardly, knowing he could easily take the boy on in a fight— but, now wasn't the time. Ken turned his head to Dianne. " I'm so sorry, Dianne.. I liked Dexter." the man continued, a frown plastering across his features as the woman began to sob. " I liked him a lo—." Dianne cut Kentrell off, staring up at him with tear filled eyes.

" What was he doing out there, sheriff?" Dianne sobbed out, a frown permanently plastered across her light brown cheeks. Kentrell scratched the back of his head, explaining to the woman that Dexter may have just been drinking. Dianne scrunched her eyes up in confusion, staring at the man in dismay. " Dexter quit two years ago! You know how proud he was of that!" she yelled out, her hands falling to her sides blatantly. " Is that what you saying about him? That he was drunk?" she sobbed, her small hands turning into fists. " Is that what you telling people? That you had to do it.. that you had shoot the town drunk?!" she continued, her hand quickly slapping across Kentrell's face before she grabbed her sons hand and quickly walked off.

Ken just stood there, slightly baffled at the conversation he just had. He honestly hoped that the woman and her son would get through this tough time.

⤵︎

It was a new day now, bright and early in the morning. Taymor stirred in his sleep slightly, turning to his side as he began to feel feel on Kentrell's side of the bed— his eyes slowly opening once he felt no one there. He raised up his head, his eyes scanning the room before he got up completely. Tay slipped his feet into his sleepers and pulled his robe onto his body, beginning his way out the room— peeking his head into a neutral colored nursery before continuing his way down the stairs and out the door.

The small boy smiled gently when he saw Kentrell working on a piece of wood, pushing open the screen door and making his way behind the man. He settled on lightly wrapping his arms around Kentrell's abdomen, the both of them quiet as the older male continued to work. Taymor laid a small kiss to his husband's cheek, causing the man to stop altogether. " Y'know, you did the right thing." Tay whispered into his ear, his thumb rubbing circles into Kentrell's stomach softly. Ken let out a sigh, before going to grab another blade— but, Taymor stopped him. Pulling the man closer, he placed his small hands onto his husband's cheeks. " Hey- Kentrell, you did the right thing." the boy said more sternly, causing the man to just stare down at him.

Ken sighed, placing a hand to his wife's stomach— gently rubbing small circles onto the soft skin. " And you, should be sleep." Kentrell stated, finality in his tone as he smiled gently. The couple shared a small kiss as they both held their hands to Taymor's stomach. Tay let out a small laugh, his arms circling around Kentrell's neck as he brung him closer. The small boy was being sure to reassure the man that he wasn't alone— and he definitely wasn't wrong.

" And you should be asleep with me." Tay responded, placing one more kiss to Kentrell's forehead before he grabbed his hand— leading the man back into the house and back to bed. Mentally, Kentrell could not handle the situation that was going on. Everyone was side-eyeing him, and even though he was kind of used to it— it was the just the gory reason behind it.

The couple laid in bed quietly, Kentrell's forehead pressed gently up against Taymor's chest as the boy massaged his head. Taymor glanced down at the man, his husband. " It's okay." the boy whispered, beginning to sing a quiet lullaby to hopefully persuade the man back into sleep.

❝ CRAZIES

❝ CRAZIES. ❞
© 𝐞𝐱𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐬, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟎