Chapter Thirty-Five

Nillon sat across from Trathor as the dean of Amos read through the missives and letters which had flooded into the university after Bo's death.

By breakfast, everyone had known about the death, though no one had any clue as to how or why it had happened.

"Why not have Ren sit with you?" Nillon asked. "He is the war mage on the coven, after all."

"Ballsy for a boy who executed a would-be shield of the Lugh family," Trathor murmured, his eyes still on the missive in his hands. The dean looked over his reading glasses at Nillon. "I don't doubt for a moment that Theon knows it was you."

"Well, I'm still living and breathing," Nillon said with a shrug.

"Which begs the question of why. And why you didn't use one of the disposable poofs you've been luring in. That is why you lure them in, to use them for such things. That way, when Theon comes looking for a target, he gets them, and you still get your ingredient."

"If I had sent one of those blubbering idiots, Bo would still be alive," Nillon said. "Shrinking at the idea of killing a squirrel, how would they kill a man?"

"Ah, Luren, come in," Trathor said, raising his voice up.

The door of the office had been closed, which meant Luren didn't hear what was going on inside. A closed door had never stopped Trathor from knowing who approached his office, however.

Nillon turned as the healer stepped into the room.

"Have you anything to add to all this?" Trathor asked with a pitiful motion to the pile of letters on his desk.

"That would honestly depend," Luren said. "Do any of them mention the damage Graydon sustained?"

"No," Trathor said.

As Nillon's attention focused entirely on Luren, on every word he said and how he said it.

"Or Naena being a confirmed war mage?" Luren asked.

"No," Trathor said, more slowly this time.

"The girl was at the field before I arrived. No screaming or whining or tears, she stepped right into the chaos of magic floating about and to Theon's side as if nothing were amiss. Commanded he tell her what happened and then followed him about as if curious about how the human body works. There was another student as well, I search for him, as he is truly a healer and I will take him on even if I denied him before."

"Ren's boys?" Trathor asked.

"Not one of them roused to suspicion," Luren said. "Not even Ren. I sent a messenger for him, the boy was turned away because Ren was indisposed. This morning a servant girl was seen leaving his rooms. Obviously he was little affected by the act."

"Pity, that," Trathor said.

Nillon couldn't have stayed, even if he thought about that ahead of time. If he had been on the drive as Theon arrived, there was no way he could have hidden the magic well enough to go undiscovered.

"Graydon?"

"Hm? Oh, yes, Graydon was damaged by a combination of moonlight and Hell magic."

"What?" Nillon demanded.

"Hush, Nillon, adults are talking," Trathor said. "Go on, Luren."

"All he would say on the matter was that Naena became excitable and Theon dealt with her."

"Pity," Trathor said with a slow shake of his head. "I suppose we shall save the body for Lord Pan's inquiries. We shall, of course, require the removal of Theon from school grounds. Attacking an innocent girl? It might be best to do the man a mercy before he hurts others."