FIVE

HEARTLESS
( five. )

━ ❁ ━

SOMETIMES, IT WAS EASY for Sirius to get stuck in his own head.

His attention span was practically non-existent so professors tended to stick the boy in the back of the classroom so he doesn't distract others.

They hadn't thought about his other three friends getting involved in some way or another, even if they had all sat at their own corners in the room (McGonagall liked to believe that's the reason why there were four walls). Of course, when it comes to a friendship bond as strong as theirs, they should have known a little bit better.

But today, of all days, Sirius Black was quiet.

And McGonogall wasn't going to buy it for one second.

"Ms. Kate?" she called out in the quiet class. Two pairs of eyes met McGonagall's. "May you come here for a moment, please?" the teacher asked.

Andrea's eyes widened slightly, sharing a nervous look with Lily. She got up from her seat, trying to ignore everyone's eyes on her back and the red on her cheeks. "Yes, professor?" she said quietly, standing in front of the desk. McGonagall motioned with her hands for Andrea to come closer to her, so the girl did as she asked, kneeling in front of the teacher's chair.

"I apologize for interrupting your work, Ms. Kate, but may you do me a favor?" McGonagall asked.

Andrea nodded right away. "Of course, professor. Anything."

The older lady grinned. "See," she glanced to the back of the classroom where Sirius Black sat with his legs stretched out in front of him and crossed on the desk. He was clearly in another place at the moment; his textbook wasn't even open. Andrea followed the woman's gaze and her face paled. Maybe she should start thinking straight whenever anyone asked her for favors. "It's a wonder to me how Mr. Black is in a N.E.W.T's level Transfiguration class, alas that's none of my business. He's a smart boy, distracting, but smart..."

"Excuse me, professor, but," Andrea bit her lip, wondering of ways to be blunt without being rude. "Where do I come in?"

McGonagall cracked a small smile. "Well, Ms. Kate, as much as he deserves to be in this class, I'd rather not have as many distractions this year. We both know that keeping Sirius from sitting away from his friends only does so much. So, I was wondering if you could take that empty spot next to him. Just to make sure his focus is in the right spot."

Andrea tried not to meet the professor's gaze but she could also tell how serious McGonagall was at the moment. Letting out a sigh, Andrea knew she would later regret nodding. But she did it anyways.

McGonagall grinned, patting Andrea's shoulder lightly in thanks. "You're doing the whole class a favor, Ms. Kate."

Andrea managed out a smile and moved away from the teacher's desk to move her belongings.

Lily sent her a strange look as Andrea picked up her bag and textbooks. "We still have thirty minutes left of class, Andy," she said quietly.

"I know," Andrea whispered back.

She tried to ignore all the eyes on her as she made her way to Sirius's table in the back.