SEVEN

SLEEPLESS NIGHTS AND CIGARETTES
( seven. )

━ ❁ ━

IN A PERFECT WORLD, Sirius would have been able to ignore both Remus and James's words and continue on living his life the way he likes it. He would be able to completely ignore Andrea and her luscious hair while simultaneously keeping up his friendship with Aaron Ross. And more importantly, he'd be able to pay attention to the girl in front of him.

The two of them have been squished together in a broom closet for the past 15 minutes, her having a lot more fun then he was. And she could tell.

"Are you alright, Siri," her high-pitched voice spoke after a few more moments of silence.

'Siri' visibly cringed at both the terrible nickname and the (unfortunately, natural) sound of the girl's voice.

"Yeah," Sirius replied. The girl - whose name the boy can't remember for the life of him - moved in to kiss his neck again. But Sirius pulled away. "I just remembered I have somewhere to be," he said quickly at the sight of her disappointed face.

The girl could tell he was giving her a bunch of crap, but Sirius was out of there before she could even open her mouth.

Classes had ended about an hour ago. James had found Lily not too long after and devoted his free time before dinner to following her around. Remus and Peter had decided to return to the common room to begin Slughorn's God-awful beginning of the year essay, which left Sirius wandering the halls of Hogwarts alone.

In a way, he didn't mind. The corridors were empty (which meant no bumping into Andrea or Aaron) and he had the time to mull over everything that has happened in the last two days.

It's a wonder how one singular moment can completely fuck up your life. Watching the way Aaron greeted Andrea yesterday on the train felt like someone stuck their hand in Sirius's chest and pulled out his heart. But at the same time, Sirius can't help but beat himself up for feeling this way.

To him, Andrea Kate was merely another name on his long list that he'd pride himself over in the future. Yet she seemed to be the only thing on his mind.

There was something about her that left Sirius feeling like he needed more. She's barely even spoken to him, but the boy was still left balancing on his toes whenever he was around her, waiting until she got close enough to catch him when he fell.

And it was only a matter of time before he fell.

Sirius stopped his wandering in one of the hallways on the seventh floor and rubbed his eyes harshly with his hands. He knew he couldn't walk into the common room looking like a mess, so he leaned on one of the walls in an attempt to get his bearings in order.

All you have to do is walk in, sit with your friends and not act like a jerk, he told himself.

He started walking again and finally made it to the Fat Lady portrait. His mind still running a mile a minute, Sirius stood in front of the large painting and stared for a few moments.

The Fat Lady gave him a funny look, which seemed to be enough to knock the boy out of his daze. He sent the lady a sheepish smile and opened his mouth to say the password, but the portrait opened before he could even get 'treacle tart' out.

Aaron and Andrea walked out of the common room, the former's arm draped casually over the latter's shoulders. The two were giggling quietly to themselves, and despite there not being another hour until dinner, it was clear the two had a destination in mind.