~{1}~

"Come here, boy! Come here!" Birdie called out while patting the side of her thigh. 

Teddy, her Irish wolfhound, bound across the foamy shingles, sending them into the air. His tongue hung droopily from his mouth and Birdie couldn't help but laugh. It was the perfect day for a walk along the seashore. Not a wisp of cloud in sight and the endless expanse of the azure blue sky brought her joy. It looked like a painting, never perfect but brilliantly beautiful in the eye of the beholder. The sun sent rays of warmth which kissed Birdie's pale skin and turned her locks a deep pool of bronze. 

"Look at you, Teddy." She cooed, ruffling the grey furs on the scruff of his neck.

She had adopted him from Battersea's dog and cat home last year after his dopy face touched the depths of her heart - it's safe to say she kept him. Despite having Oscar, a chubby tabby at home, Birdie couldn't say no to Teddy. His previous owner was an old lady who had passed suddenly, leaving the wolfhound bare of any affection. Nobody gave him a second look while he moped behind the glass doors, that's until a certain brunette bound up to him. She took him home immediately. 

He loved running across the strip of shingle seashore on a sunny afternoon and Birdie let him. Living in the lighthouse by the cliffs was a lonely existence and she desperately craved the affection of a pet. Birdie never understood those who hated pets, she grew up with a cat and rabbits. 

She was gifted the lighthouse by her great aunt last year, the reason why - she didn't know. The place was a mile from the seaside village of Chapstone and Birdie often took her Mini to the shops. It wasn't a difficult lifestyle though, in fact, it was a welcome change from the drudgery of city life. Her heart yearned for solitude and the saltiness of the sea air calmed her mind. For years the constant thrum of spluttering engines and cries of angered commuters greeted her ears but now, the rolls of the waves and the settling of the foam woke her. It was like a new beginning - the beginning of her gentle existence. 

Teddy started to nibble at the hand which grasped his favourite tennis ball. It was mauled and the green fuzz was peeling away in chunks, but he loved it so Birdie kept it.

"You want this?" she chirped, shaking the tennis ball in the air.

Teddy barked and started to bounce side to side, his tail working overtime in excitement.

"Go get it!"

She threw the ball into the distance and watched it as it bounced towards the waves. Teddy whipped his head around and followed the tennis ball in hot pursuit, barking the whole way. The dying embers of a wave spread its web through the shingles and dragged the ball back, deeper into the turquoise depths.

Teddy pranced into the sea and danced over the waves, searching for his beloved toy. Birdie looked on in amusement, a small smile gracing the corners of her bow lips. 

"Have you found it yet, Teddy?" She called out.

The dog barked in response and continued its assault in the foamy tips brushing its paws. Birdie's fluttering laugh was carried along with the wind and dispersed at the tops of the chalk cliffs. But the sudden distressed yelp and the violent thrash in the water drew her immediate attention. 

Teddy was now brawling violently in the sea and a force was keeping him pinned down. Birdie's first thought that it must've been a shark, but since the water is relatively shallow and she didn't see a fin, that idea seemed unlikely.

Protective pet owner mode in her mind was suddenly activated and she ran towards her faithful hound, ignoring the fact that her canvas shoes filled with seawater. Birdie waded towards Teddy while calling his name desperately. The dogs thrashing now became unbelievably hysterical, paws flying in every direction to shake off the attacker.

"Get away!" Birdie ordered while trying to separate Teddy from whatever was holding him.

A flash of pearlescent scales in the corner of her eye meant that whatever this creature was, it must be a large fish. Her hand crept towards Teddy's back left ankle and she grasped at whatever was holding him. 

Birdie shrieked and jerked back when her hand connected with cold, fleshy but undeniably human skin. Trying to hold down her thundering thoughts, she began to prise the hand away from her dog. Teddy began to whimper and his movements became jerky as the reality of his situation hit but Birdie wouldn't be deterred. 

Despite being almost waist-deep in water, she continued separating the fingers from her dogs now matted fur. When the water settled for a moment and the foam died down, she could see a muscular, veiny arm connected to the hand. But what was more disturbing was the head and torso of a boy but the tail of a fish. 

With one more mighty tug, the hand released its vice-like hold and Teddy scampered to the surface; forgetting the ball. Birdie began to follow her dog, desperate to put distance between her and that thing.

But this merman had other ideas for her. Just like with Teddy, he grabbed her ankles and forced her under. Saltwater stung Birdies eyes and filled her throat, causing her to cough uncontrollable under the surface. With sheer despair she flailed her foot, hoping to kick the merman but he was too quick. Her hands grasped at the sea bed and any cries were swallowed by the merciless waves which battered the surface.

Was this it? Drowned by desperation in the hands of a man from myth?

Not likely.

One more force from her foot - all the power and life left in her body surged through the tips of her toes. And he let go. 

As soon as the cool waters licked the bruising on her ankle, Birdie darted towards the beach. Her head broke the surface and she gulped pints of fresh sea air and coughed up saline water. Teddy watched her from the safety of the shingles, his head turned in confusion. Like a fat blubber whale, Birdie rolled on the beach with rasped breathing and a scratchy throat.

Never, ever in her life had she experienced anything like that. And she hoped never again.

The flick of the pearl tail and a rush of water signalled the departure of the merman.

Good.

And Birdie vomited.