~{4}~

"But please don't be alarmed, though. I'm simply observing!" He rushed out and raised his webbed hands further into the crisp, seaside air. 

"I'm sorry b-but....you're real?" Birdie spluttered, her sandy palm flying to her open mouth.

"As real as you. And your dog."

He pointed his sharpened claws in the direction of an oblivious Teddy, who was circling a patch of seaweed.

"Can you just-" But before Birdy could finish her sentence, she crumpled to a heap on the floor. 

"Oh, are you okay? Hello..." his voice trailed into a whisper as he analysed her body, watching her chest rise and fall.

Fainted.

Was he that unappealing to her eyes? That she just fainted at the sight of him? Or was it the fact that a merman had emerged from the indigo depths and manhandled her dog? Probably the latter.

Teddy dropped his fascination with seaweed and quickly waddled up to his owner, sniffed her hair and then continued to nudge her face. The merman didn't move or make a sound - just watched as the furry, for legged mammal pined for the girl to wake. 

He knew that she would probably faint again if she woke up and saw his face, but you can't leave someone stranded on a beach like that, especially with the waves coming in. He cupped a handful of seawater in his palm and flung it in the direction of Birdy, hoping that the gentle splatter would bring her round.

It didn't.

His tail started to beat against the gravel belly of the ocean, and panic began to swell in his chest. Nobody had had that sort of reaction before, was she okay? The dog seemed distressed enough - or was that just because it was feeding time? Either way, him throwing water at her face was not helping.

The Merman sunk his palms into the smooth pebbles and hoisted himself up. The muscles in his upper arm flexed continuously as he dragged himself closer to the girl - his tail hanging limply beside him. 

The dog watched in bewilderment as the creature crossed the distance and flopped to his side next to Birdie. 

"I don't wish to be a nuisance, but it appears you've fainted." He stated matter-of-factly, hoping she would stir at his voice.

Silence.

So he did something that he had never done before. He touched a human.

The merman raised his webbed hands, curled his finger so the talon wouldn't scrape her skin, and poked the girl on the cheek. Hard. 

Birdie woke immediately, slightly groggy and startled.

"What in the ever-loving fu-" she murmured and wiped the wet patch on her cheek.

"Oh, yes, sorry about that." the creature muttered from beside her.

Birdie jumped to her feet in an instant. She looked down at the man laying on the pebbles - or should she say....merman. He looked very much like a fish out of water, apart from the fruitless struggle and desperate dance of the tail.

"This can not be real. No, no just no." she repeated and shook her head violently, hoping that it was all just from the fall.

"You shouldn't do that just after you hit your head."

His voice was clear, deep and without a recognisable accent. But of course, it was, do you know what accent a fish has? Exactly.