Day 4 | demons

After walking out Alice had tried to distract herself from the memories that came flooding back when she reminded herself of their rendezvous years ago.

She'd had to prepare herself for whatever secrets she would no doubt spill in his presence. She owed it to him, he deserved to know the truth. If the last wall blocking her from a friendship with him was the acknowledgment of her demons, she needed to dig up the past. For his sake and hers.

FP hadn't even attempted to confront her about it for the rest of the day. He knew better than anyone when she needed space, and now was clearly a time she needed it most.

The only time they talked after that was when she told him that he could have an upgrade to Hal's man cave in the basement, since "Hal won't be needing it anymore."

After that they both went their separate ways for the night. FP was finally able to sleep without nearly freezing to death. But Alice couldn't sleep. It was the first time since her girls were little that she had a sleepless night.

It was as if having FP in her house confused her to the point that she didn't know whether to be angry at him or herself, for reasons that had long been buried but somehow always appeared in the forefront of her mind when he was around.

•••

By 5am, she had busied herself with making coffee and waffles, anything to possibly soften the blow of the truth.

She still had a couple hours until he woke up, which she decided to spend sitting on the couch opposite where he slept down in the basement. Somehow his soft, even breathing calmed her nerves. She found herself transfixed on the movements of his chest and after a while it lulled her to sleep.

She stirred in her sleep as a warm hand stroked her hair out of her face. His fingers brushed gently against her forehead, tickling her slightly. She sighed contently as she opened her eyes to see FP smiling down at her.

"What're you doing down here?"

"What, no good morning?" Alice found herself joking once again to cover her nerves. But with FP it was no use.

"Is it?"

Her smile faltered. As much as she wanted to chicken out, she had put this off for 20 years, she couldn't hold it in any longer.

"There's something I need to tell you, FP" she whispered whilst taking his hands in her own.

"Anything" her lips twitched upwards slightly at that. She hadn't asked, but FP had still made sure she knew he was there for her whatever.

"Before I tell you, I just want to apologise for not telling you sooner. No excuse will ever make you forgive me for that, and I understand if you don't" she took a deep breath.

"I-"

The shrill sound of FP's phone cut her off before she even started. Alice groaned. Maybe fate didn't think it was the right time. If fate came in the shape of the devil, that is.

"Gladys?" Alice's face dropped as FP's grip on her hands loosened and he shifted his attention to the woman on the other end of the line.

She didn't feel like it was her place to be there, so she stood up and walked up the stairs to the kitchen. She wouldn't admit it but she was slightly saddened at the fact that FP didn't try to stop her.

She leant against the counter for a few minutes, waiting for FP to return. The timing was once again not on her side.

"What did you want to tell me, Al?" He stood behind her, watching as she fixed her posture after hearing him behind her.

Alice turned to face him, her eyes falling to the floor. She chewed her lip slightly. All the signs were there, that maybe it wasn't the right time, but she couldn't shake the feeling of guilt with him living in her house, something she could've had years ago, with THEIR son. But only now was she considering telling him the truth, the real reason she had built up a wall against him for so many years.

"It's nothing" the words slipped past her mouth before she even processed them, and she knew she couldn't do it.

FP frowned at the way she dismissed it, a sharp contrast from the way she had gripped his hands so tight earlier. "Are you sure? It seemed important" he pushed. He was being careful around her, like she had said, they weren't friends, and one wrong word from him could drive her up the wall.

"Clearly not as important as that phone call" the snark in her voice was biting, but he ignored it.

"Come on, Alice. She's the mother of my children, I had to answer"

The bitter laughter died in her throat as his words sunk in. That stung. She guessed she deserved it, and it wasn't his fault for being clueless, but it hurt nonetheless.

Alice bit the tip of her tongue, his words reminding her that she only had herself to blame, and as long as she pushed the secret to the back of her mind, she could find a way past it. It was unfair to both of them for her to keep holding a grudge against him over something she realised she was to blame for.

"You're right. I'm sorry."

"Alice Cooper? Apologising? Never thought I'd see the light of day" FP smirked, and Alice appreciated the way he so effortlessly lightened the mood.

"Don't call me that. Cooper."

"Sorry"

"Now look who's the one apologising" she teased, grinning as FP shook his head in amusement. "You planned that didn't you?"

"Maybe" Alice shrugged.

FP smiled at the way one of her eyebrows raised as she lifted her shoulder, and her cute smile that just seemed to grow bigger as she caught him staring.

It grew quiet between them as they just smiled at each other, both wondering why they hadn't tried being this before. Friends.

It could've been this way between them a long time ago, but she'd been blinded by her demons. But now, she intended to keep it this way. It wouldn't do any harm if the truth stayed buried a little longer, right?

  -

AN: I had major writer's block for a whole ass month, so I'm sorry this chapter is shorter and not as good as the others. I also re-uploaded the previous chapters bc I made a few mistakes but they're mostly the same. You might wanna re-read anyway bc it's been so long. This chapter ended up so different to how I planned it so I have to replan the next few chapters so sorry if they take a while to come out ❤️