4: Tale of the Mermaid Scales

Do you know of the curse of the mermaid?

It is believed that mermaids exist in this world, but as much as they are completely hard to catch, their value in fortune is high. Especially their scales. It is said that a mermaid's scale is so rare, it is considered one of the world's most beautiful treasures.

Yet, people don't look for the scales for it's value at all, but rather they seek for the precious material's magical abilities. Did you know?

If two people swallow a scale that came from the same mermaid, they will both be laiden with a terrible curse worse than death, but in turn, those two people will share a bond so strong that it crosses the shores of the living and the dead.

"Or so the rumor says." The chirpy ghost girl hummed, motioning her hand in circles in the pond as small waves rippled through the tranquil waters. The koi merrily nibbled on the girl's finger tips. 

"I see… " A boy with mop raven hair sat beside the spectre, watching the colorful koi swim to the girl's hand. He was deep in thought. "Does it apply to ghosts too?"

The ghost girl let out a chuckle, shifting from her crouched position. She looked up, placing her free hand under her chin. Maybe it was the trick of the light or maybe it was something more, but her eyes sparkled in an alluring way. 

"I don't know… " the girl let out another chuckle, its echo softly ringing through the vacant garden. "Why are you so curious about it, Amane-kun?" 

"I… um… " the boy, Amane, shuffled uncomfortably, eyes shifty.

The girl looked to her friend before letting out a mock gasp, placing her hand over her slightly open mouth for further emphasis. "Could it be? Is Star-eyes finally falling in lo—"

"It–it's not like that! I just wanted to know." Amane reached his arms out to the laughing girl, face flushed a deep set of red. He waved his hands in front of her in an attempt to replace his lack of ability to explain. "I just… you see, there was this girl… "

For a moment, Amane paused expecting for his friend to spit out a cheeky comment but it was only replaced with silence. He looked up to the girl whose eyes were now back on the fishes in the pond. She smiled and gave a hum, signaling him to continue.

Amane cleared his throat, resting his hands back down on the ground. "Well, this girl used to attend here. She wasn't the kind to be sociable, we wound up as friends somehow. 

"One time she talked about giving a mermaid scale to the person she liked."

There was a pause. "And then?"

"She was so happy about it, saying that she was going to swallow a scale like that too. You should have seen her; it was the only time I've seen her so happy."

"Then I never saw her again after that. She apparently moved to a different school, based on what her sister told me."

Amane let out a heavy sigh. He ran a hand through his choppy hair, eyes sunken. The ghost girl took notice of this and gave the boy a gentle pat, retracting her hand from the pond. She then gently turned his head to face her before she cupped both his cheeks with her hands. Her smile somewhat faltered, knowing well that her hands were nothing but solidified wind to the boy.

"Well, you have me now. I'm your friend, right?" The girl inquired.

Amane stared for a little too long before his face went back into a blushing mess. He tried to touch the spectre's hands but they only managed to swipe past. That's right, how could he forget? As much as his friend can touch him, he couldn't do the same. He fell quiet.