Chapter 9: A Dividing Search? Berry Interesting...

Crushes will be revealed in this part. 😝

Silver and his friends continued their search for food, so far they had no luck. They made it to another clearing in the jungle and stopped. Rouge put her hands on her hips and sighed a frustrated sigh.

"This is getting ridiculous." she growled and turned to her friends. "Surely there has to be one tree with good berries on it or something." She looked around in all directions, only seeing what seemed to be the same old trees doubled.

She shook her head, frustrated. "That's it. Let's split up. We can cover more ground that way, and if any of you find any food anywhere or if you don't find anything within 30 minutes you come right back to this spot, k?" she asked the group but didn't give them a chance to answer. "Good. We'll go in groups of two; me and Knuckles, Shadow and Blaze, and Silver and Sonic. Now let's go!"

She grabbed Knuckles by his arm and dragged him off. Blaze rolled her eyes and turned to Silver. "I guess we could split up for a little bit, try not to get lost." Blaze hugged Silver and kissed him on the cheek, then smiled and left with Shadow.

Silver was flustered. He totally did not expect a kiss outta nowhere, and from his best friend Blaze?! He put his hand on his cheek and smiled slightly. Then he noticed the blue hedgehog he was alone with giving him a confused look. Awkward. "Eh hehe, um, let's go buddy." Silver said with a slight blush. So they started their divided search for some food.

5 minutes later

It's been five minutes and once again, already Silver couldn't take the silence between him and Sonic. He just had to say something, but what? Sonic didn't talk very much at all. Silver, being curious as always, wanted to know why. Why was Sonic always so quiet? Why did he seem scared half the time? Why was he covered in bruises ten years ago when they first met? And his reaction to the new guards...

The more the white hedgehog thought about it, the more he wanted to know. But he didn't want to make Sonic sad in any way. He didn't want to make him bring up possibly bad memories. He knew that if he spoke he would ask, so he tried his best to remain silent. To his surprise Sonic was the one to speak.

"Are you okay, Silver? You seem kinda nervous about something." he said. "Nervous? No no I'm fine buddy. I was just... thinking about something." He hoped Sonic wasn't as curious as he was and wanted to know what he was thinking, but the hedgehog read his thoughts.

"You're thinking about me aren't you? About why I'm the way I am." he said. Silver looked at him wide eyed with shock. "Well, um, I-I just can't help but wonder. But how did you know?" amber eye asked. "I can tell from your expression. You wanna ask me about my past, but you don't want to make me sad at the same time." azure said.

Again, Silver was shocked. 'He can tell what I'm thinking based on my expression? How?' he wondered. Pushing that thought aside he sighed. "You don't have to tell me, I won't even ask. But if you don't mind, I am wondering why you seemed so terrified of that lioness." Silver said. Sonic stiffened and tried to think of an answer without giving away too much info. "Her attitude made me nervous is all." he answered quietly.

Silver didn't bother him anymore on the subject and instead tried to change it. "Well I hope we find some food soon. Don't wanna starve in the jungle right?" he asked awkwardly. Crack

Startled, Silver jumped with a small yelp. "W-what the heck was that?" he questioned. Sonic seemed quite calm. He knelt down and picked up something small and red. "It's just a pine berry Silver, nothing too dangerous. I guess I stepped on it." he said. Silver breathed a sigh of relief, then he realized what Sonic had just said.

"Wait a sec, did you say pine berry?" Silver asked. "Well yeah, that's what it is." Sonic responded. Silver looked up. In the trees above them there were little red berries. Jackpot! "Look Sonic, pine berry trees, and a lot of them! We have to get back to the clearing and wait for the others." He grabbed Sonic's arm and started back.

Once they got there they met with Blaze and Shadow. "Guys, we found some pine berry trees!" Silver said excitedly. Blaze and Shadow looked at each other with slight shock. "What a coincidence, so did we." Blaze said. "They're safe and we can eat as many as we need so we won't starve." said Silver. "Then we can try and get out of here." Shadow said.

So the four Mobians sat in the clearing and waited patiently for Knuckles and Rouge. Shadow and Sonic sat on a flat rock while Silver and Blaze sat on the short grass. It had been 20 minutes since Silver got there and he was starting to worry. "Blaze, do you think they're alright?" Silver asked concerned. "Of course. Rouge and Knuckles are both pretty dang tough, and for all we know Rouge could be too busy flirting with him or something." Blaze said with a giggle.

"Flirting? Does she like him?" asked Silver. "Isn't it obvious? She's liked him since they met. One problem though," She glanced at Sonic and Shadow and then leaned closer to Silver to whisper. "I think Knuckles likes Sonic." Silver was surprised. "Knuckles and Sonic? Together? But they're both guys!" he whispered back. "Do you really think Mobians give two craps about human rules? I'm pretty sure both Knux and Shadow like Sonic." she whispered.

Silver wasn't sure what to make of this, but he knew that whatever Blaze says is right most of the time. He snickered and smirked to himself. "Poor Rouge. But surely Sonic can't be with both Knuckles and Shadow, can he...?" Silver asked. "He probably can." Blaze said with a smirk.

To be continued...

Stay tuned for more. And check out my other stories if you like. Buh-bye!