Chapter 10: Untapped Potential

Teagan's POV

Teagan raced out of her seat, happy to be done with that history test she was struggling with. She had never quite figured out the answers to those bonus questions about the map.

"Hey, Teagan. Are we still up for hanging out at the mall today?"

Teagan turned around, seeing Ire run up to her. "You know it, girl. Just let me get my things out of my locker, and I'll be ready to go."

Ire nodded. "Okay, I'll meet you outside."

Teagan turned away, groaning when she saw how far she had to walk to get to her locker. She took the long walk there, each step more tiring than the last. She didn't inherit her mom's stamina, that was for sure.

She opened the door to her locker, carefully getting her things out one by one and shoving them into her schoolbag. As she began to take a step forward, she heard a sound coming from the music room.

Teagan slowly walked toward the door, her curiosity growing by the minute. She quietly opened the door and was shocked by what she saw. There he was in the flesh. Colton Edgeworth was singing by himself.

She never knew that he could sing. Her ears must have been deceiving her. He stopped for a moment, taking a deep breath before he continued. Teagan knew that song anywhere. He was singing the first few lines of Into the Unknown.

Teagan had to admit, his voice was lovely to listen to. A pang of guilt made its way into her heart. She shouldn't be eavesdropping. This was probably something no one else knew about, which was perhaps why he was by himself.

One more moment couldn't hurt, right? Before she knew it, she couldn't contain herself. Teagan slowly crept in, thankful that the door hadn't creaked.

She stood silently behind Colton, admiring the way he sang. It was a soft note, but it was beautiful, nonetheless. His voice showed a different side to him, one that he was happy to keep to himself.

He sang the next few lines with such passion that Teagan couldn't help but join in.

"And if I heard you, which I don't, I'm spoken for, I fear." Teagan sang, attracting Colton's attention.

He slowly turned toward her, looking like a deer caught in the headlights. He turned away from Teagan's gaze. "What are you doing here?" he asked in a clipped tone, getting up from his seat and walking towards her.

Teagan took some steps backward until her back was up against the wall. "I just went to get my stuff from my locker. Cross my heart."

Colton crossed his arms. "I'm listening."

"But then I heard you singing and decided to stay awhile longer. Teagan bit her lip. "I know I shouldn't have eavesdropped, but you can't deny that you have a lovely voice."

Colton shrugged. "It's nothing special," he muttered, trying to keep from his cheeks turning the color of his shirt.

"Well, I think it's amazing. You should sing more often."

Colton scoffed. "And have thousands of people watching me? Yeah, I'll pass on that one, thanks." He bit the inside of his cheek, walking over to the piano's bench. He sat down on it, with Teagan sitting beside him.

The two stayed silent for a moment. Then Colton spoke up. "I have terrible stage fright. The last time I tried to sing in front of an audience, I threw up..."

Teagan stayed silent. "Well, at least you tried, right?"

Colton winced. "On my singing partner."

She cleared her throat. "Well..."

Colton held a hand up. "The last thing I want is pity, Teagan."

Teagan glared. "If you let me finish..." She huffed. "I was going to say that it's pretty admirable to get up on stage like that. I don't think I would have had the guts to do that."

He chuckled. "Thanks." A smile slowly crept up onto his face.

"So now that we're past the pleasantries, it's time for you to get over your fear," Teagan stated.

His smile dropped. "What are you talking about?"

"Sing in front of me," she stated, waiting for him to start.

"I can't do this." Colton turned away from her.

Teagan rubbed his back. "Hey, it's okay. You can do this. I believe you can." She looked away. "I can sing along with you if it'll help."

Colton sighed. "Okay, we'll only try once, and after that, that's it."

Teagan squealed, quickly getting her phone out of her pocket.

"I'm already beginning to regret this..." he muttered to himself.

Teagan nudged his arm. "Come on, what have you got to lose?"

"My dignity," he said. He blanched when Teagan gave him a doe-eyed expression. "Please?"

"Nope! You're not gonna make me cave." He turned around, closing his eyes. After a minute or two, he looked back to see her giving the same pitiful expression. "Fine. I'll do it."

Teagan smiled. "Thank you." She tapped at her phone's keyboard, playing the instrumental of Into the Unknown.

The song began to fade into the background as Colton closed his eyes, listening to its melody. Teagan watched on, enjoying the way he sang the first few lines. Teagan chimed in once or twice, singing the lyrics with feeling. 

The two began to sing the next few lines, getting ready to go into the chorus. With a deep breath, they sang in harmony, the passion conveyed through their voices.

Teagan paused the instrumental, giving Colton a wide-eyed expression and him doing the same. "That...was...awesome!"

Colton smiled. "It was amazing. You're really good."

"You're not so bad, yourself, Cutie."

Colton gave her a smug smile. "You just called me Cutie."

Heat flooded her cheeks. "Whatever."

"Kinda hard to forget a thing like that, Milady. Plus, I have it on recording." Colton brought out his phone, laughing when he saw her shell-shocked face.

Teagan brought her hand out from her pocket. "Ha-ha very funny. Now give...it... back," she warned, emphasizing each word.

"Sure...but you gotta catch me first," Colton said.

Teagan giggled, chasing him around the music room, unaware that maybe...just maybe...she was beginning to develop a crush that wasn't going away anytime soon.