Chapter 12: My Little Town

Colton's POV

Colton watched as Teagan walked up the stairs to go change into something more casual, meaning that he was stuck with Ire. He bit the inside of his cheek. Why did he have to be alone with the one friend who knew about his feelings for her best friend?

"So, nice weather we're having..." he spoke up, trying to erase the awkward silence that was filling the room.

"Cut the crap, Colton. I know you like Teagan. Everyone else knows it but the girl herself." Ire said, looking him in the eyes.

"So you don't mind?" he asked, looking down at his shoes.

"Of course, I don't mind. But keep in mind that her dad thinks you're just shamelessly flirting with his daughter and that there's no real seriousness behind it."

Colton winced. Of course her father thought that. He remembered the time Mr. Valdez caught him flirting with Teagan the other day while she was busy working at her family's bakery. The teasing was harmless, but it was enough to make her flustered and for her dad to give him a small talk.

Listen, son, I know you like my daughter and all, but please do the flirting on your own time, NOT while she's on the clock, got it? He had said, causing Colton's face to turn a light shade of pink.

Colton ran a hand through his hair, exasperated that his friend had figured him out. "What do you expect me to do? The girl's as tough as nails. I mean, she has a soft side to her, but..." He shrugged.

Ire patted his hand. "Don't worry, Colton. Just give her time. You'll see." She looked up the stairs to see her friend. "Oh, Teagan, you look so pretty. Doesn't she look pretty, Colton?"

Colton followed her gaze to see Teagan dressed in a white button-down top with orange shorts. She ran down the stairs.

"Okay, I'm ready. Let's go." Teagan said, putting her hand on the doorknob.

"Wait," Colton said, stopping her from opening the door completely.

He inched closer to her, putting something in her hair. When he finished, he looked at his masterpiece: a navy blue ribbon tied in a bow on the left side of her hair. "Now, you look even more beautiful."

Teagan got her mirror out of her handbag, looking at what Colton did. "Colton, you shouldn't have," she said, gazing at the floor.

"I know, but I wanted to, Dewdrop." He held her gaze, smiling at the sparkle in her eyes.

The two shared a secret smile, unbeknownst to Ire, who was watching the two with curiosity. "Now what are you two going on about?" she asked.

Colton rubbed the back of his neck. "I know her favorite color is blue, so I decided to buy something that would naturally complete her look. As for the new nickname, "Dewdrop," I know she likes nature, so..."

Teagan shot him an appreciative look. "I didn't know you remembered that."

"Of course I do, just like I remember you loved playing with butterflies when we were in middle school."

Teagan shook her head. "I must have looked so silly chasing after one."

"Well, for what it's worth, you looked beautiful to me."

Teagan chuckled, noting how Ire had let out a huff. "Okay, we've kept you waiting long enough, girl. Let's go." And with that, she locked the door behind them.

The three friends walked inside the mall, the place looking crowded as people walked to and fro, looking for something to do. Colton looked around, seeing a bunch of teenagers laughing and goofing off while others went into stores to try things on or look around. He looked up the escalator, hoping they would find something once they were at the top. "You guys want to try going upstairs and see what we can find?"

Ire nodded while Teagan's face went pale. She quickly dusted off her clothes as if she wasn't fazed by it.

Colton noticed this, a frown on his face. "You okay, Teagan?"

"Yeah, I'm just afraid of heights, that's all. And how the steps move so fast, that's all." Teagan confided.

Colton gave her hand a soft squeeze. "Hey, that's nothing to be embarrassed about. Don't worry, I'll be with you every step of the way, no pun intended.

Teagan giggled, walking on to the escalator as he trailed closely behind her. She let out a sigh of relief, feeling that the worst was over. The trio walked off the escalator, walking into a room full of sounds and games that lit out around it. Sounds from every video game buzzed around them, with people either yelling in victory or frustration.

The friends walked to the bowling alley, where they each paid for their shoes and how many times they would play.

"Let's make things a little more interesting, shall we?" Colton piped up, wiping the sweat of the palms of his hands.

Teagan arched an eyebrow. "Oh, really? How so?"

Colton walked up to Teagan. "If I win..." He grabbed her right hand, softly kissing the back of it. He winked at her. "I get to take you out on a date."

Teagan's confused gaze turned into one of confidence, albeit a little flustered by his forwardness. "You're on."