Brother's In Arms

Commander: "Earlier this evening, the Phoenix police force lost two of our own. Sergeant Manuel Rodriguez and officer Thomas Kayser were killed in the line of duty."

Jordan: "That's 3 officers in the past 4 days. After the first shooting, the Phoenix police department assumed gang involvement." she says silencing the tv as she passes out files for everybody

Rossi: "Pretty reasonable assumption."

Jordan: "True. almost 30% of all officer slayings are gang related."

Reid: "Technically it's closer to 40%. If a cop isn't killed during a commission of a crime, gang involvement is highly likely."

Jordan: "Actually, their precinct commander believes it may be a serial and has asked for our help."

Rossi: "What makes him doubt the gang theory?"

Jordan: "A couple of things. Last night's victims were killed exactly thme way as the first."

Hotch: "Shot in the neck."

Jordan: "Something that the press didn't release."

Emily: "Well, now, wait. There could still be a gang behind this. Killers working together could establish the same M.O."

Jordan: "Commander marks hasn't ruled it out, but there's another detail-"

Watson: "Trophies. Killer took their badges."

Morgan: "Gang members don't usually take trophies. They don't need to. This is an unsub with something to prove."

Hotch: "And he's got the entire city on edge."

Emily: "Kill those who protect and serve, and no one feels safe."

On The Plane 

Morgan: "We are all brothers under the skin. And I for one would be willing to skin humanity to prove it." Ayn Rand."

Hotch: "Go ahead, Garcia."

Garcia: "Ok, while you birds have been in the air, I got the 411 on the first shooting. Apparently, every saturday night, Phoenix P.D. sets up a DUI checkpoint."

Emily: "Is that common knowledge?"

Garcia: "Mais, oui. Public awareness is part of the deterrent. So our unsub blows past said checkpoint at 90 mph, and is pursued by a officer Jason Kessinger. Kessinger pulls the car over, approaches the driver's side window, where he is shot in the throat" she says before sighing out sadly "Mon dieu. He was a single parent, 2 daughters."

Rossi: "So, the unsub planned ahead, used the dui stop to set his trap, and then lured the officer to his death."

Emily: "It could have been personal. The unsub might have had a problem with these particular officers."

Hotch: "Or with law enforcement in general. He's sending a message."

Reid: "Criminals, gang members, academy washouts, security rent a cops, teenagers, and that's just a start. I mean, the list of people who have a problem with police officers is a long one."

Morgan: "The victims were shot in the neck, so the unsub knew they'd be wearing body armor."

Watson: "And he used a DUI checkpoint. I mean, both incidents show an active understanding of police procedure."

Morgan: "Which narrows it down to anybody who watches television."

Hotch: "We need to cover victimology. Garcia, find out everything you can about the officers killed, see what they had in common besides their uniforms."