Reflections

My phone buzzed loudly on the hardwood of my bedside table, jolting me awake.

I had tossed and twisted in my sheets, during my restless sleep. The room was dark, aside from a single beam of light glinting underneath the curtains.

I reached out blindly, fumbling to grab hold of my phone.

New message from Grace.

My stomach fluttered in my chest. Against my best judgment, I unlocked my phone.

Grace: Hey Nicky!

Let's go to the lake today. It's warmer than usual! 🙂

Shit, she's acting normal.

My thumbs hovered above the glow of the screen as I forced my brain to come up with something, anything.

I have two options right now: to say no and hurt her, or to pretend nothing happened.

Nick: Nicky? I'll let it slide :)

Nick: Sounds good. I'll be there in 20

Grace: Ok cool!

I hastily threw back the covers, and climbed out of bed. I glanced at myself in the mirror atop my dresser.

Dark shadows encircled my hazel eyes, my brown hair sticking out in every direction. Healing purple hickeys still littered my neck. My wrinkled T-shirt hing loosely over my lean frame. To say the least, I looked pretty rough

I dressed myself hastily, pulling on a University of Minnesota crewneck, cuffed baggy Levi's, and my signature worn Air Force 1, white Nike sock combo.

I double-checked my appearance in the mirror. I combed the tangles out of my hair with my fingers. My eyes were still puffy from my restless sleep.

I tiptoed downstairs, hoping to avoid my parents. I made it to the kitchen and quickly poured a bowl of cereal. Then it hit me, my parents are at church of course.

They'll kill me for skipping Sunday Service

I personally didn't mind, but my parents definitely would. I worried over what they would say to me, as I shoveled down the coco puffs.

Next, I grabbed my keys off the mantle and headed to the lake. Lake Alders Beach is closer to Grace's house, but I don't mind the drive.

Since it was a Sunday morning in the middle of winter, I was the only car pulling into the lot.

Lake Alders Beach consisted of a small park perched a top a hill, with tall wooden stairs stretching down to the frozen beach below.

The winter air that would usually nip my skin, was countered by warm sun. Beams of light glittering through clouds of morning fog. It almost looked magical. I squinted my eyes to see through the atmosphere, catching a glimpse of black hair a few yards away. Casually leaning against the park bench, grace sat with her legs crossed delicately.

Her hair softly rustled in the wind, standing out against her white jacket. She wore high top converse equally as bright.

Grace always likes her outfits to match.
She gives me fashion advice all the time, even when I don't ask. But I love her for it.

I walked toward her figures, anxiety gripping at my chest.

"Hey," I called with a wave.

"Hey," she smiled back, her cheeks flushed pink.

"So should we go down to the beach?" I asked before she could say anything else.