Ze beginning

Six months earlier...

"Class!" The noisy room fell silent as the teacher walked in, her hand on the shoulder of a teenage boy. Whispers rippled through the group. "New kid!" "-a newbie!" "Wow, he's cute."

"We have a new student today! Everyone give a warm London welcome to Jake Tyler!" The students muttered different greetings and the boy looked up slightly, flicking his black bangs out of his eyes. Everyone froze.

"Woah..." "Oh my gosh, do you see that?!" "His eyes..." The boy sighed and let his hair cover his eyes again. The reason everyone was so intrigued by his eyes was because of the...unusual shade. They were a bright violet. Y'know, purple. He sighed as the all too familiar whispers filled the room.

Every time he went to sit down, the person in the seat next to him would stare, making him uncomfortable. He finally gave up and sat in a desk near the front of the class.

Just as the teacher began class, the door slammed open. A girl rushed in, smiling brightly. "Sorry I'm late Ms. Cainon, my brother hid my books again..." A dark look came over her face before she brightened up. "A new kid!"

She skipped over to Jake and held out a hand. "Hi there! I'm Genie!" He looked up and gasped. Genie's eyes looked as if they were made of liquid gold, with chocolate mixed in. Even though they were just as rare as his, she didn't try to hide them. Her brown bangs were pinned back, showing her amber orbs to the world.

By the time he got over his shock and reached for her hand, she was gone and class was in session. Still stunned, he faced the front and tried to listen.

The class was over all too soon, and Jake was the first one out. Instead of going to his next class, though, he leaned up against the wall, watching the students rush out of the class, looking for one in particular. Finally, he saw her.

She gasped as he grabbed her wrist, stopping her, then smiled. "Oh, hello again! Can I help you?" she chirped. He sighed. "I...I wanna know why." Genie blinked. "Why what?" "Why you don't hide your eyes! Why you aren't afraid!"

The brunette teen sighed softly. "Follow me." She led him to an empty room, perching on a desk and swinging her legs.

"So you wanna know about my eyes?" He nodded, sitting when she motioned for him to do so. "Well...I was born with them. They might be different, yeah, but they're a part of what makes me special. Why should I be ashamed of something that is such a big part of me?" He blinked.

"But...aren't you afraid of what people will say?" She laughed. "Well, if they can't accept the way I look, why would I want to be around them anyway?" His mouth opened, then closed. She had a point. "Come on!" she chirped, jumping up. "I'll introduce you to my mates."

Jake looked at the outstretched hand warily, but soon took it with a small smile. "Thank you." She looked at him, amber eyes glowing with warmth and kindness. "No problem, mate!" Still holding his hand, she pulled him out and down the hall, blending in with the crowd of people. And thus, a new friendship was born, one that would be put to the test many,many ti-

"Alright, that's enough o' that!"

Wha- Genie!!

"Wot? Can't tell the whole story in one go!"

"She has a point..."

Ugh! Why can't you two stay in your story?!

"What fun is that?"

"We wanna be out here and talk!"

Grrr....