Chapter 1A

The cold moonlight fell through the window of Laera's bedroom, silently illuminating her presence in the mirror and accompanying the low burning candle by her side. Her pale skin unnaturally glowed against the dark brown strands which weaved through her golden hair, and the mirror unsympathetically depicted the dark sullen holes which engulfed her eyes and her cheekbones. Her lips were adorned with a subtle nude lip color, softening the heavy brown eye-shadow. A small silver band with sharp, ragged edges lined her scalp, the crown so delicately chosen for this particular ceremony.

The day of the Goddess Ezara was not one to be taken lightly. Stories of her cruel desires against humanity and the destruction in which she waged on the coast of Fotia terrified Laera as a child. The days of her celebrations were typically subject to neighboring attacks and misfortunes, leading to extra precautions being arranged for the ball. The war in which Ezara had manipulated and organized with the country Traison had led to numerous Fotian casualties, which continued to grow in spite of their peace efforts. It would be absolutely suicidal for the Fotian royalty to reject celebrations for the Goddess of the Dead, and as princess of the kingdom, Laera had no objections to ensuring she was earlier than normal.

Her quarters were only a short distance from the ballroom, and as Laera pushed open the door, the warm lights seemed to grow dimmer. Most of the candles had been blown out by the summer night's wind, which swept along the walls of the castle, and the few remaining ones had small, snapping fires barely visible under the highly decorated holders. The entire labyrinth of a place would be dark in honor of the Goddess. As the heels of her feet propelled her forwards, she couldn't help but notice the dancing shadows grow longer and still, and her steps seemed to echo more rapidly than she was walking. The frigid air engulfed her, yet as she slowed, something warm seemed to slither down her neck.

Eyes wide, Laera twisted quickly around.

But nothing was there.

Her mouth opened to speak, but as it did, a pair of firm hands grabbed her behind the waist, jolting her upwards. Their tough grasp strangled her ribs, her breathing panicked and uneven. The dark room closed around, prodding at the sides of her vision, and her struggles were useless with the heavy corset and gown weighing down her otherwise nimble body. A small breathless scream escaped her lips, the halls echoing it throughout the air around them. Gods, where were the guards?

Chuckles emerged from the attacker behind her, and suddenly, the once monstrous grip turned into light tickles. Finally finding the strength to peel away from her deranged attacker, she faced him, eyes set with fire and ready to fight.

"Boo."

If she hadn't recognized her brother by his voice, she surely would have been able to recognize him by his features. He had tanned skin, which made hers appear even fairer in any lighting, and his thick mess of brown hair -which never seemed to be combed- framed his small face. To Laera, every inch of Kris's sun kissed appearance overpowered her features, but they had both inherited the same color of eyes, a rich shade of blue with various hints of greens and yellows mixing within.

"Jerk," she breathed, still recovering from the scare. But his smile was infectious, and it didn't take long for the disapproving scowl she often wore to disappear.

"I had expected the Crown Princess of Fotia to speak in a more eloquent manner."

She proceeded to continue with a list of her most colorful obscenities, all eloquent, of course.

Their banter and playful teasing filled the castle, and as they moved towards the ball, stress seemed to alleviate from Laera's shoulders. "So I take it you didn't come back just to terrorize me?"