Chapter 4A

The creature was glittering sea of ash, decorated with pearl-like spots and streaks of black smeared throughout its nostrils and over its eyelids. The hair fell in tangled strands like pools of dust on its neck, as the Captain fastened the leather saddle to the horse. The animal twisted its skull to match Laera's stare.

This was definitely going to work.

Laera had never seen the creatures up close. The horses were mainly used for messengers and transportation. Between that and training, they remained a part of the castle Laera hadn't had the pleasure of learning about. But the soft padding of their feet as they returned to the stables at night could always soothe her to sleep.

Alec had managed to sneak her through the front door, Laera hiding in her hood behind him, and had arranged for two horses to be prepared. His own mount was a dark brown, almost invisible against the night sky, which sharply contrasted the light blonde hooves softly trotting towards her mare.

"I haven't been on one before."

"Just try not to fall off." Their banter had been shorter since the kitchen, and though Laera swore to herself it didn't matter, the lack of noise irritated her. 

The Captain offered his hand to help Laera, which she blatantly refused. She had seen countless riders from the castle windows, and knew the exact way to mount. Regardless, the Captain remained close to the mare. She stepped onto the edge of the saddle and thrust herself upwards onto the animal. 

The beast took her weight with little resistance, and after making sure all the supplies were safely locked into place, Alec boarded his. 

"Laera," The Captain fidgeted slightly before turning towards her. "Keep a tight hold on the reins, and try to sit straight while we move. Your horse is trained to follow. If you are uncomfortable, we can slow down."

"We're headed northeast. Besides the capital, there is only one village in between us and the woods. From then, it's an easy trip to Traison. The horses can rest at the village, but we need to leave now. I'll be fine until then."

"Are you absolutely sure you're okay with this? With leaving?" His brown eyes met hers. The air was clearer from the top of the horse, as her hands tightened against the leather straps. 

"I've never been more sure about anything." 

The Captain stared at Laera. She couldn't tell if there was something in her hair that he was staring at, or in her eyes, or on her lips, or wherever he was looking. Resisting the urge to brush back her loose strands, she broke his gaze, and instead looked out the gate in front of them.

Alec steered the creature back around. Without another word, the horses moved forward.

The wall in front of the castle was thin, more for keeping people in than out. As the horse trotted forward, Laera's eyes ran over the capital.

The stone pathways gave way to tall buildings, all washed in the blue night's light. There were no people out on the streets, and if it weren't for the star-like shine gleaming through the windows, she would've mistaked it for a ghost town.

She could recall every sculpture, every fountain, every light, and every twist and turn throughout the city. Balconies adorned with flowers sent down the familiar aroma.

She missed this.

After countless checking to make sure Laera was okay, Alec sped up his steed, and soon, the window lights became a blur. The two raced through the city streets. The wind pushed her hair back. Every hair was on edge and in paradise as her grip tightened on the silver beast in front of her.

Soon enough, the blurry lights of the city were behind her. It was only Alec and her riding through the open path ahead. Her head spun back one last time.

The castle seemed so much smaller from afar.

~

They had been riding for what felt like hours. Fields lined the dirt track, with wavy stalks and long twisting leaves. They had slowed down a bit, and Alec's horse had fallen in line with Laera's.

The night sky was littered with stars. The bland shapes created stories and myths throughout the air, spanning from point of Ezara's crown constellation. From the countryside, each individual bit sparkled against the ink-like background.

Her head tilted back, taking in as much of the sight as she could.

"I can't remember the last time I saw the stars this clearly." The Captain's voice shattered the silent barrier growing between them.

"Me neither," Her eyes felt glued to the sky, as the blues started to become more vibrant and noticeable. "Do you have a favorite?"

"The Gateway." He sounded completely sure of himself. "Something comforting about the heavens being so close."

A bitter chuckle left her lips. "That's exactly why I hate them. Everlasting happiness is so close, yet completely unattainable."

Alec's brow raised and a bemused expression fell over him. "And what exactly is your favorite?"

Laera snapped her head down and began twisting the reins of the mare. "Well, I, uh, it's not exactly for superstitious reasons. It's Darius's Sword. Dad used to read it to Kris and I."

"Oh. Laera, I-"

"I don't need your pity." The words came out harsher than she intended them to. "It really doesn't matter right now. Forget I brought it up."

"I apologize then." She shut her eyes upon hearing him. The soft tone began to drown her in guilt she couldn't handle. When she reopened them, she was surprised to find the Captain still by her side. "It's a beautiful night tonight."

"Yeah... it is."

They rode onward in silence, but it felt slightly more natural than before.

Laera hadn't felt herself drifting to sleep. She hadn't even felt comfortable enough to the point where she could sleep, but the warm fur lured her downwards, while the slow clopping that rang out begged her to shut her eyes. With the night sky watching over her, her body relaxed against the mare and gave in to exhaustion.