Chapter 3A

Laera had picked out the dress fairly quickly. The dark green silk swirled down to her toes, elegant enough for a meeting, but simple enough to feel comfortable. Her hair had been even quicker to decide. A low, tight bun was pinned down, decorated by a small jewel encrusted headband. She hadn't bothered with changing up her makeup. Only a few people would be present tonight, and she could care less what they thought of her looks.

Besides, the attention would not be on her.

The Queen cast a large shadow, one that Laera had become an expert on hiding in. Observation was an easy way to pick up on negotiation tactics and learn about court members. She had attended all types of court meetings, event coordination meetings, debriefings, and trials throughout her life. And though they were all boring in their own ways, it was better than being excluded. War meetings had taught her that well.

She hadn't known what type of meeting this would be considered. A messenger had arrived nearly an hour after the castle was deemed safe. The Traison had been locked away throughout the night with constant supervision. As far as anyone could tell, Kris was the only thing that had been taken from the castle.

The dark, small room was filled to the brim with people Laera didn't recognize. A plump man was seated at the table and adorned with colorful metals and ribbons. A retired general, perhaps. A couple guards were seated beside him, while a healer was seated across. The Queen came in shortly after Laera, and the table stood until she waved her hand in dismissal. 

The Queen sat at the front of the table. Laera chose to stand besides her, as she typically did during court meetings. The rest of the table reassumed their previous positions.

Laera hadn't noticed the security until now. The walls were lined with guards hiding in the dark. Their still, silent figures focused on their spaces, constantly surveying the surroundings.

"What are we waiting for?" The Queen's voice was commanding, and it was louder than Laera was prepared for. "Let the messenger in."

The distressed, ragged-looking person stumbled in. A bag enveloped their head, while their hands were bound together by chains. The Captain had a hold of them, with several other guards nearby, as the figure struggled against his grip.

Laera's stomach faltered as she took in the person's appearance. The messenger's arms were various shades of red and yellow. Small coral wounds dotted the repulsive skin as blood adhered to the messenger's clothing. The smell mixed with the perfumes in the room to create a nauseating mix of floral and vomit strong enough to trigger a pounding headache for Laera. Under the bag, the messenger thrashed relentlessly, pulling away from the Captain's touch as more of the wounds ripped open.

The room was calmer than Laera. The man she had noticed earlier was still complacent. None of the guards seemed to quiver at the sight, and even the healer had remained somewhat calm. The Queen kept her sight focused ahead. 

Still, she would keep still, she would keep her heart steady and her pulse calm.

Her mother shot Alek a look, to which he responded by uncovering the bag. 

Laera first noticed the messenger's face. Her skin seemed to ripple. Smooth lines ran down the curves of her face, contouring her elevated cheekbones and running down her jaw. Her hair was  thin small spikes, like needles of flesh. And when she moved, they moved with it.

She tried to attack the Captain first. Her leg quicked into him as her leg swung back, but the Captain was faster. The messenger fell to her knees with a groan as another guard stepped beside Alek and held her down. But she ripped back, over and over, with a monstrous sort of determination.