Chapter 2

It was a sunny, bright day. The townsfolk in Corona were bustling about the marketplace. Varian was out and about alongside Ruddiger, looking for random interesting things to buy.

Suddenly, a small black figure darted by, and stole a necklace from Feldspar, who was just walking by.

"It's the black shadow! Someone seize them!"

"The black shadow?" Varian inquired.

"The black shadow! It's the new, horrendous thief that has been devastating Corona! Nobody knows what they really look like, but they are a fiend faster than lightning! Oh, everyone has lost so much because of that rotten scoundrel!"

"Ruddiger! What are you doing?!" Varian exclaimed as Ruddiger hopped off his shoulder and darted towards the shadow.

Ruddiger knew exactly who this was. As she darted around the right corner into an alley, Ruddiger followed.

He kept getting closer, dodging around boxes and trash barrels, until he was finally on her tail. He kept persisting, until finally, he grabbed her tail and dragged her down.

As she was pinned, Ruddiger grabbed the necklace from her hands, and she let out angry chatters.

Ruddiger then took her hand and lead her out to the market streets, into the plain daylight.

"Ruddiger!" Varian exclaimed, shocked. "The thief was a raccoon?"

Ruddiger nodded his head, and brought the grumpy female forward, while handing the necklace to Feldspar.

"Why thank you, Ruddiger! You definitely seem to be the hero pet of the royal alchemist!" Feldspar leaned down, petting the raccoon on the head while taking the necklace.

"I can't wait to show this to her! This'll definitely get me taken for sure!" The cobbler said as he walked off.

Later, the "black shadow" was taken to the king, and revealed to be a mere raccoon.

"Your highness, I present to you, the thief that has been terrorizing our kingdom." Varian gestured towards the small, black raccoon that Ruddiger was holding, a small rope tying her wrists together.

"Ah! It was merely a raccoon all along! Well done, Varian!"

"Well, actually, the credit goes to Ruddiger."

"I see. Well done, Ruddiger. Unfortunately, we're not sure if we can really jail a wild raccoon..."

"How about we take it in for a while? That way we can reform her, and then release her into the wild when it's ready."

"Excellent idea Varian! Of course, if it is your temporary pet, it needs a name. What shall it be called?"

Varian picked up the raccoon and examined her.

"Hmm... I think it's a girl... with pretty black fur... Aha! Smokey! Your new name is Smokey!"

Varian hugged Smokey close, while smokey had a scared look on her face.

"We're gonna take great care of you!"

Smokey turned towards Ruddiger, and gave him an angry stare. Ruddiger awkwardly smiled and shrugged in response.