chapter five

WHEN JAMES POTTER rolled out of bed the next day, he had officially made up his mind. He was going to talk to Adelaide again. The only missing step was how to find her.

Brushing the sleep from his eyes, he made his way into the kitchen, prepared to share his brilliant plan with Sirius. Not to toot his own horn, but after years of planning clever pranks at school with his friends, he was very confident in his ability to create a mastermind plan. However, his plan was crushed almost immediately when only his parents were seated at the table and Sirius was nowhere in sight.

Realizing his mistake in assuming that his friend would wake up before noon on any day without school, James dashed back upstairs to shake Sirius out of bed, but when he opened the door and saw Sirius's bed empty, he had a suspicion that he was not at home. He was proven correct as the distinctive creak of the front door pierced through the still air. Peering down from the foyer, he watches Sirius enter the house and close the door behind him. "Back from your date already, Sirius?" James listens to his parents greeting in silent confusion, his mind spinning through possibilities.

"Mr. Potter, I already told you she's not my girlfriend! It's not like that at all!" A bright red blush colors the tips of Sirius's ears, unusually exposed by the way he has his long hair neatly woven into a braid. James can't help but think that it's odd, considering Sirius is known for his dramatic hair flips.

"And we already told you to call us Mom and Dad, or at least Euphemia and Fleamont!" James can hear his father's hearty chuckle from the dining room, just beyond his view, as his mother chimes in. "We're just teasing, sweetheart. I remember you telling us about a very special fellow at school."

The blush that once lightly touched Sirius's ears flames onto his cheeks and he ducks his head, clearly wishing he could hide behind the thick curtain of his hair as he tugs his wavy black hair out of the braid. James furrows his eyebrows in confusion but doesn't have much time to think as he hears his mom's next words.

"Will you go wake James up? I think he's still sleeping."

"Sure thing, Mom."

-

quote of the day: "i am confusion. america, explain."

happy birthday to my best friend, an absolute queen! thanks for supporting me from the beginning, this one's for you, love!