Chapter 1: A lake of Blood

It felt many eyes bore into it, hungry eyes. Eyes that wanted to swallow it whole. It didn't like those eyes, it hated them. Those eyes made it feel extremely uneasy. So it froze in place, like a deer caught in the headlights.

Still, it was hungry and it couldn't just not eat for a time. It had a feeling that the moment it moved was the moment of its doom. So it observed the area, doing its best to see through the greedy eyes. Slightly curious, it instinctively released a part of itself into its environment.

It felt oddly better after that, the increasing feeling of tiredness was slowing down. Experimentally, it released more and more of itself into the surrounding area until it was enveloped in fog. 

Seeing the orbs actions, a few humanoids rushed forward, using their water compatibility to get to their destination; eager to claim the orb as theirs. The remaining humanoids beside the lake were unwilling to give those an advantage, so the observers quickly launched an attack towards these impatient humanoids. Those that were able to reach the orb were unable to budge it. Eventually killing each other, or getting killed by the remaining observers. The strange orb stayed in place, and no matter how many attacks were targeted at it, it's location and appearance didn't change. The only thing that had happened was an increase in the feeling of immanent death and its glow getting dimmer.

The lake was eventually dyed red, and the bodies that once stood were now lying on the waters surface. Enough bodies to cover the entirety of the lake. There was a sudden spike in negative energy yet again, as more humanoids rushed to the lake, but their target was not the orb this time. They pillaged the dead bodies, taking jewelry, clothes, weapons, talismans, and sometimes even taking their hair. At times another humanoid would approach the lake, with an odd glowing insignia above their heads. They overturned a few bodies in a hurry, as if looking for something. Sometimes, they would leave with a body, another floating up to the surface to replace it. Other times, those with the insignia were killed anyways, becoming one of the many bodies on the waters surface. Of the remaining people stationed beside the lake, none of them budged, waiting. So the lake returned to a deadly silence. 

The spike of greed and hostility in the air, the orb increased its vigilance. Yet, no matter how vigilant it becomes, it can't do much at this state. Releasing this fog like substance was easy enough, though tiring, there were more gains than losses. At this point, the orb realized that negative feelings diluted the feeling of death. Yet, it expended more energy than it gained, so it had continued to weaken. 

Thankfully, the sudden spike of negative energy strengthened the orb enough for its energy levels to return to the same level as when it had first regained its consciousness. However, the attacks on it severely weakened it yet again.

Cautiously, the orb then tried to move the fog, trying to get closer to the source of this negative energy. Naturally, the closer it got the stronger the energy got. Though it was much harder to move the fog than it was to release it. So after the sudden brightness came the sudden dimming of the orb, causing a few of the observers to frown. They also avoided the fog tendrils of fog that headed towards it, thinking that the orb was launching its defensive attack. 

Ah, this action was indeed to energy consuming, so it paused its actions. Those tendrils swayed in the wind. Even without doing anything, the energy consumed kept increasing at a logarithmic pace. 

Perhaps realizing that there was no hope in increasing the energy it could acquire, it focused on lowering the energy consumed. Even if it could not break even, perhaps it could reduce its consumption of energy enough to give it time to figure out this problem. 

Time passed, the orb slowly digested the dispersing negative energy in the air. As it grew brighter, so did the negative energy and the greed in the observers eyes. Noticing this pattern, the orb had come to a conclusion that the more powerful it got, the more these things wanted to eat it. Ah, it would do the same as well. To escape the feeling of death, it would definitely do what these things were doing as well. If it could, it would also eat these things. But...it doesn't like it when these other things feel the same way it did, it didn't want to 'die'. So it tried to look for ways to dampen it's light.

An unknown amount of time passed, the bodies started glowing one after the other before exploding into tiny lights of different shades. Black was the most common colors. Seeing a few of the other observers absorb the specks of lights, the orb happily followed suit. But it struggled a bit, unsure how the other beings were able to drag the light towards themselves.

But those that touched it's fog-like tendrils were absorbed. It stung a bit, absorbing the lights. An odd feeling, like a thousand paper-cuts as one would say. For the orb, it was a curious feeling. It wasn't a pleasant feeling, but it revived it. So naturally, it would want more of it, this curious feeling of pain wasn't worth mentioning. So it spreed out its tendrils until it encircled the fog, catching the tiny sparks of light and absorbing them. It did get a bit better at controlling these tendrils after all this passing time. Through some experimenting, it had learned how to control its energy. Even so, it had yet to solve the brightness problem and a problem it had just noticed, a leakage problem.

Busy with trying to control the fog using as little energy as possible, the orb had yet to notice small, winged, humanoid gathering around itself. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors note: A new series? I tried a hand at creating a cover, will probably replace it later? Probably haha. Irregular updates, so I recommend waiting until it has at least 10 chapters. BUT I can say at least a thousand words per chapter if that means anything at all. Will add more tags as the story progresses.