Disappearance

Busy with trying to control the fog with as little energy as possible, it had yet to notice the small winged humanoids coming to circle it. They started making noises. In a raged manner, they fired of comment one after another. 

"Aiya! What do you think your're doing? Stop it, stop it right now!"

"Do you know what you're doing? You're killing a dead person! What will Kyre say ha? Do you want to kill me too?"

"If you don't stop right now you're a dead orb, you know?"

"Bruh, I don't think it understands us."

"...."

That fairy was right, the orb continued to absorb the black lights in a slower manner, but it showed no signs of stopping. It had finally noticed the winged humanoids surrounding it, but it wasn't sure what the noises they were producing meant. It was aware that they were targeting a negative energy towards itself, but the orb has long since attributed negative energy with food. So it slowed down its absorption of the lights in order to absorb more of the negative energy targeted towards it, a feeling known as satisfaction filled it as it continued to absorb more negative energy.

Frustrated, a fairy almost went to kick the orb before he was stopped by a friend. 

"Careful! You almost died. You should probably work with the other fairies before you mess up again," a fairy said in a concerned manner. The orb might look harmless, but it was had a lot of inbuilt defenses that would activate whether or not the orb knew about them. Who knew what would happen if they tried to attack the orb. 

"You right, suppose there's a reason why my wife told me to join those anger management classes."

"Almost cost you your life this time," and with that, the fairy subtly dragged them out of the crowd and they went to group the stray whisps away from both the orb and the humans. Meanwhile, the remaining  fairies started analyzing the orb. 

"Is it even alive?"

"It doesn't have an owner. Acting like this, it at least should have acquired awareness."

"Ah, Kyre is here."

"Good good good."

The orb finally stopped its actions, feeling something immensely powerful enter its surroundings. It noticed the floating creatures around it leave and rush towards a dark wispy creature. It converged into a mischievous looking man, the kind that could tease you until you cried. His eyes were slightly tilted, irises the color of mahogany. His black hair was let loose, almost floating around him and beyond, scattered all over the floor and disappearing into the trees. 

"What do we have here," he said, looking at the surrounding area with his irritating polite smile. 

He approached the basketball sized orb, and tried to caress it. Yet his hand went through the initial layer of the orb, and Kyre pulled his hand out due to the feeling of danger. 

He had seen a few of these orbs before, but not one this large that lasted this long. And this orb seemed to be trying to condense while spreading itself out at the same time. 

"This one's a queer one, isn't it?" Kyre asked the group of fairies that had stayed silent since they noticed his arrival. They continued to stay silent, but their eyes spoke of idolization. Seeing their eyes, Kyre laughed in delight. 

"To think someone like me would be idolized this much, it's like a plot twist isn't it?" 

"W-we've  heard a lot about you," a fairy said, blushing from head to toe. The other fairies nodded in agreement. It didn't matter how isolated you were from civilization, everyone knew who Kyre was. It was indeed their luck to be born in this location. 

"I'm sure you have...but tell me, what has this orb been up to?He did notice the whisps disappearing into the orb, but he wasn't very aware of the specifics. 

The fairies immediately started talking, their voices overlapping on top of each other and from what Kyre could pick up, the orb was absorbing whisps, particularly the parlous ones. 

'Ah, so it was a sad death,'  Kyre thought to himself. A sad death to resulting in an orb was very rare. It was indeed worth the trip to inspect the fluctuation today, it's been very long since he'd last had a companion. 

Happy with the trip, he beamed a smile and interrupted the fairies chatter, "Well, thank you for today. I'll get going now." And before the fairies could say anything more, Kyre's hair came alive, clumping any stray whisps together before disappearing, taking the confused and scared orb with him. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What was left of the hundreds of observers wren't aware of what just happened, their eyes were trained onto the orb that was pretending to be an inanimate object, while others looked at each other in with a raised eyebrow. 

As if this was a sacred area, the parlous whisps* were slowly being wiped out, leaving nothing except the pure whisps floating around. Certainly, it could be a trap made by the orb to distract them, to give itself an escape route. However, the promise was rather tempting, it wasn't every day that they encountered a situation where they didn't have to worry about absorbing impurities. The decision was made in a blink of an eye, as everyone sat down to concentrate on absorbing the whisps, afraid that the whisps would be absorbed by the other people, or they would disappear. 

In a few moments though, their worst fears had been realized and the whisps started grouping together, far enough where they couldn't absorb them. No one wanted to try getting closer to the orbs as they've all heard the consequences that came in varying forms. They all cursed in their hearts when they saw the whisps disappear, and cursed out loud when they saw the orb disappear in front of their eyes. 

Those with power quickly went to harass other people in hopes of gaining some treasure while did their best to escape. 

Such was the current state of the world. The strong bullied the weak, and the weak could only run as far as they could. 

--------------------------------------------------

*Yeah, whisp is spelled as wisp, but I couldn't figure out what to call the orbs lol.