i

a/n:
i wrote this an hour before my birthday and just now had the balls to post it.
-•-•-
"rin, i'm going to kick you out if you don't shut up," yukio, rin's twin yelled from atop the stairwell. "do you know what time it even is? it's a school night!"

rin shrugged lazily, continuing to strum his electric guitar, gifted to him from his adoptive father. "plug 'yer ears," rin said, sluggishly. "'m probably not going to school tomorrow."

"and why not?" yukio asked, tapping his foot with crossed arms. "you're not missing your first day of senior year."

rin shook his head, peering up at him. "i'm dropping out."

yukio's blue eyes popped out of his eye sockets. "like hell you are," but winced shortly after. "heck," he corrected with a groan. rin paid no mind to it, simply shrugging the topic off, barely listening to a word yukio said, which annoyed the slightly younger twin. "i won't be around much at school, with me being an assistant and all.. but shiemi and you have lots of classes together." rin just stared down at his barely touched blue guitar. yukio groaned. "i can introduce you to people?"

still no response from rin. odd, really. rin used to be very energetic and excited to go to school. by used to, i mean two years ago.. when his best friend, izumo, was still in town. but because of business, her family moved away. she said she'd be back, but never said when.

"nii-san.." yukio grumbled, making rin's pointy ears perk up. yukio stopped saying that when they finally got used to the american life. "just go tomorrow and see how you like it.. if you don't," he hesitated for a minute before groaning in defeat, "i guess you can drop out."

rin shrugged, but nodded nonetheless. "fine."

with a small smile, yukio headed off to sleep and actually plugged his ears when rin's strumming continued. the song he was playing, or attempted, was supposed to be a happy one. but it sounded so sad coming from rin, though muffled.

the younger twin barely slept at night. he wanted to listen, to see if there was a change in the way rin played. alas, there wasn't. he was left awake to wonder what drove rin to such sadness.. besides being half-demon, that is.

it was extremely heartbreaking, though. the once energetic, nice, and sweet boy had grown into a distant, sketchy guy.

yukio was popular. people only know him because of shiemi, and only knew rin because of yukio.

and no one liked him. besides shiemi and himself, no one bothered to talk to the boy. they'd say he was odd, weird, terrifying. well, he could be. but he was a good odd, a good weird, and only terrifying when needed. it made no sense why people would go out of their way to avoid him.

yukio pondered on izumo for a minute. he remembered how heartbroken rin was when she left. she was his rock. he was her rock. they were the perfect duo, which made jealousy sprout out of yukio for many logical and illogical reasons. after she left, things just went down hill. rin skipped school, his grades barely met their standards, and his goofy persona was gone. no matter how much the two differed, izumo knew everything. and when i say everything, i mean it.

yukio barely like izumo before she left. she was stealing his only live family member away, which made him too jealous to be nice about it.

the guitar faded away in the early hours of wednesday morning. around 3 or 4. it's not because rin stopped playing, no. it's because yukio realized he had to start getting ready in an hour because he voluntarily wanted to help out. rin thought it was stupid.

-•-•-

the bells rang throughout the large school. shiemi kept staring at the door, waiting for one of her dearest friends to walk through.