chvpter 3

<3 <3 <3

...

With my hood pulled high and my mask around my nose, I pass the gang men who guard the lobby of Castle House, which is the community housing estate Michigan Duncan installed as part of his contribution to the city. But the Ghouls own it, and anyone with an unfamiliar face is asking for a beating.

With my face concealed, they get on the staunch, but then I catch eyes with a ganger named Saxon and he recognises me. He nods, I ignore it, and duck into the fire door.

I climb the rubbish-strewn fire stairs quickly, the thump of my boots making an increasingly more irritating echo down the stairwell, before I finally arrive at my family's floor.

I sorted out a solid alibi for the robbery. How do I quiz my father about the hospital without letting on that I wasn't where I was supposed to be?

I wrestle with the swollen door, slipping into the apartment, "rotten, good for nothing piece of Manic-." Shut up, Vi. I wrench it so hard that it unleashes a mighty squeal as it grates a deeper hole into the crumbling floor.

The apartment always stinks of mould, smoke and must. The ground is a mixture of shattered tiles and old concrete because we ripped the carpet out years ago to get rid of the mould that was poisoning us. Michigan Duncan's estates are state of the art.

All the windows are jammed shut except for the one by the fire that helps filter the smoke out. A pot of violet flowers bloom on the kitchen windowsill. My mum used to pick all the violet heads and crush them when she was angry with me... They would shrivel in the sun for days. I was young then, so it hurt me worse than it should've.

Mum opens Tokyo's bedroom door, but she drifts right past me with distant eyes. She's on another planet.

Cigarette lips, dull blue eyes, wiry blonde hair, pale skin, she looks the same. She used to be so tan, so bright and golden.

I glance away bitterly, kicking the door frame to get the gunk out of my boots. I had silently hoped for half a smile given this is the last time I'll see her. I would've settled on a flicker of warmth or recognition in those glass eyes.

I untie my mask, marching into the kitchen.

"Where's dad?" I murmur, tucking my jacket under my arm.

No response. She sways slightly as she thinks, her face going mean all of a sudden.

"You missed Cola, she came to help me cook this afternoon." Her tone is anything but sweet as she leans on the island table, not bothered in the least by the zit puckered skin of the foul old counter. Mum blinks at me expectantly, looking at the swell in my hoodie pocket.

"I'm sorry I missed her." Fuck Cola, she can rot all I care.

"Give me my rent, Violet."

I grind my teeth before reluctantly drawing the food and tossing it on the rotten counter, sniffing sharply. I already paid her my whole wage from the factory. Good thing I got a side hustle, right? I can't spend any of it though because it will flag the algorithm. Not because of the amount, but because of where I made the money. Holders Bay money can't be spent in Lake Darling.

She won't have a scrap by next week. I chew my lip, casting my eyes down. Why do I feel guilty?

"That's all? Nothing I can use to pay the girls?" She arches a greying eyebrow, her gaze flickering to my new jacket.