chvpter 11

...

Two soldiers stand behind Reid, pinning his hands behind his head despite the gruesome black bruises running up his ribs. They stormed in. He was about to put a top on after his shower. 

I gape at the expanse of black covering his ribs as he balls his shirt in his fist. Someone kicked the shit out of him. He must've gone through hell, he... The third soldier gains my attention when he waves for his men to stop.

Reid holds his breath, gritting his jaw so hard that he could break his teeth. Then, finally, the soldiers release him, and he grunts in agony as he hunches over, but he keeps his gaze fixed on them. His glare is so threatening that they both grab their weapon belts cautiously.

The Doctor, staring at me, turns to follow my gaze before her pretty yellow eyes widen in surprise. She accidentally stares at Reid's muscular physique and the patchwork of tattoos dotted across his olive skin. The prominent artwork is a giant piece in which two Egyptian gods stand at odds across his torso. Too quickly, she averts her gaze to me, but then she clears her throat and looks at her tablet, "Miss Violet Warrendale. I need to conduct a physical exam. Are you ready?"

"You already checked my wounds." I snap, narrowing my eyes. It's midnight.

Doctor Abigail smiles politely, resting her elbow on the surgical trolly beside her, "This is to make an official application to the board. We have to prove that your wounds are worth subsidy, otherwise, it will cost you money to heal them. I apologise for the late visit but upon observation, your injuries require a second round of review and more detailed photographic documentation, and if I conduct this review after twelve PM the board will dismiss the assessment entirely because the documentation will be too late to be deemed sufficient."

I arch a brow, "Too late?"

"Outside the window of time, that they... consider appropriate to take an accurate assessment." She blinks at me like a little sparrow. The attention of all the men in the room begins to press on my back. 

"You got to take photos?" I don't want them to put this in the database. Permanent records like these could get leaked. 

"Yes. Indeed." She apologises with those yellow eyes.  

I prowl past the soldier to the bathroom, but the man in command clears his throat. He and the Doctor share a look, but she seems defiant. I pause, leaning against the wall, leaving me a few strides from the bed.

"Sergeant I understand, but it goes to her privacy rights." 

"It goes to my orders." He replies, and she sniffs slightly like she's stifling some sort of irritation. 

"Unfortunately, Miss Warrendale, your profile has been flagged as," She looks for the words, "High risk. Meaning when a health practitioner engages with you, two soldiers must always be present."

I blink at her, rage whipping its lash, but I just resort to a cold laugh. "So bring two."

"Your partner is also flagged, meaning it would be a violation to leave him in the room with just one soldier." The Sergeant mutters, but he looks at the floor like he's uncomfortable. 

I look at them, then at the bathroom, "It's the same room."

Silence resounds, making their position clear. Before making any enemies, I swallow meekly, casting my eyes at the floor. "Okay."