Chapter 16

Pretty boy no more, Denver sat on the edge of his bed ignoring his reddening knuckles and the pain radiating in his side. He really hoped he hadn't broken a rib, most likely just bruised two; two that just happened to be nearer his lungs because every time he inhaled deeply a breath hitch and the pain peaked, making him cough. Shallow breaths it was then. He watched the droplets of blood leaking from his mouth splat on the floor.

None of this was in the plan he concocted upon entering his dorm. He envisioned things going a lot more smoothly; like Ethan hearing him out, trusting him, and willingly letting him administer the serum.

Nope. Not at all.

Apparently, Ethan's new programmed persona didn't trust him as much as the old one would have. He could talk normal Ethan into numerous schemes no matter how ill-planned some circumstances might be. New Ethan however, didn't oblige to his fancy jargon and strange ideas. Denver saw the fury brand New Ethan's face as the syringe caught his eyes and it was all downhill from there. An all-out brawl ensued in the darkroom, heavy rain and quaking thunder covered up grunts, yelps, and the cracking of furniture. A shove into the sturdy wall, a knee to the stomach nor a roundhouse kick to the side did anything to bring New Ethan down.

Denver's gaze shifted towards the shards of wood like a scattering of matchsticks. He was thankful for that old fashioned chair that was for visitors that stopped by and wanted to stay awhile. It was the heavy blow he needed to render the human force heading to him like a battering ram. The strike halted Ethan, sending him to his knees and crashing to the ground.

The fight had been over five minutes and the syringe had been empty for four. Denver didn't know how long he was going to be out.

"OMW up." The text gleamed on Denver's phone. He flipped the phone over with a huff.

He had less than seven minutes to think of a way to get Hudson to remember he's Oliver. He held his side and closed his eyes concentrating on every memory at his disposal. There was something there, the slightest of moments; when Kincaide was the victor and they were the defeated. 

******

His mind took him back to the moment before all his friends lost their identity and he honed his talent for trickery. Kincaide had the Hunters line them up behind them while they were knees as he stood triumphantly before them with Matilda at his side.

"Progeny Crimson." Kincaide tsked with his hands clasped in front of him. "I am as proud as any father could be."

"You're not our father," Asia seethed. The hunter behind her jabbed the butt of his rifle in her back shutting her up.

Kincaide glared sharply at her, "The bitch is the alpha. That's a new development in the natural order of things." He observed the boys battered and bloody beside her until he spotted Ethan. "I figured it would be you since females never activate and you're the biggest. I guess no matter how much you toy with DNA, genetics will always be a mystery." He turned to Matilda with a grin, "That's science for you."

"There are limitless possibilities and still some unforeseen outcomes with the triple helix." Matilda orated in her emotionless tone. "This could be a good thing. The female is the most deadly in any species."

Kincaid humphed then turned back to Asia. "I'll determine that."

"You will see," Asia teemed as blood rolled down her lip, and tears filled her eyes. "Cause I will remember. I'll remember everything and I'll kill you because of it."

"Stop," Ethan ordered her.

"No." Kincaide held up his hand towards Ethan as he stepped closer to Asia. "So much fire and fight." He grabbed her chin and tightened his grip as she tried to pull away. "I'm going to enjoy breaking you into submission and you will break because all OXROs break."

"But you are right about remembering one day," He pushed her head back before releasing her face. "One day when you make a mistake on a mission and fear fills your body because there's no escape and death is imminent. Your life will flash before your eyes and every memory you've ever had will be there too."

Kincaide walked back to his original post, "Ironic, isn't it."

******

The three knocks on the door drew Denver from the bathroom. He stepped over Ethan's limp body and opened the door swiftly with a hospital smile. He wasn't surprised to see Oliver soaked from his head to his toes. The freak didn't own an umbrella. The simulation hadn't changed him from a nature-loving hippie that believed rain was refreshing.

"Come in," Denver dramatically swept his arm towards the dark room.

"This better be important," Oliver said, stepping over the threshold. "I was—" His words stopped as he took in the sight before him. Broken furniture, overturned bed, broken glass; it all made him pause. He pointed to Ethan, "Why is he on the floor? What happened?"

"He tripped." Denver plainly said, locking the door behind him.

"On what?"

"His feet."

"His feet?" Oliver ran his hand over his drenched hair, a puddle collecting where he stood. "I. Should. Go." He moved to the door but Denver didn't move. "Ryder, I don't know what's going on with you but..." He stepped back. "I'll help you get through it. I'll sit with you in the clinic and—"

"Don't call me that." He spat, pointing sharply at him. "I'm Denver. My name is Denver."

Oliver peered at him with wide eyes and shivering fingers. "Mental breakdowns are normal. I can get you help."

"I don't need help. I'm fine." He smiled with a shrug. "Hey, do you remember that time we went on Spring Break and were almost killed."

Oliver's eyes swept side to side. "No."

"Well, you will."

"I will." He glanced at the bathroom hearing running water. "Are you about to take a bath?"

"No." He cracked his knuckles. "I'm going to drown you until you remember."

"What?"

Denver pounced on him before he finished his second confused blink. He hoped this fight would be easier than the first or he'd have a broken rib for sure.

Do you think Denver's plan will work? Do you think he's going to enjoy drowning Oliver?

Will Asia keep her promise to Kincaide?