Finish

My eyes opened. My body was shivering at a worrying rate, trying to gain some heat from the freezing cold. I barely registered the people around me as I tried to clear my eyes and push what just happened to the back of my mind to deal with the present. I looked around and saw lifeboats in the distance, wondering if I was hallucinating or not. I started to feel warm all over despite the freezing climate and my damp clothes. Instantly afraid of getting hypothermia, I wrapped myself into a ball and started blowing on my hands, carefully scraping my now frozen tears off my face while looking around at the other kids on the boat. Mothers, daughters, and sons were all smashed together in the same place, huddling together for warmth. Everything was silent except for the frozen waves and the silent crying of the passengers on board.

I tilted my head back as my body started to gain more warmth, looking at the stars instead of what was in front of me. I let out a slightly hysterical laugh, choking on my breath. Not processing what had just happened and not knowing if I wanted to make sense of it. I turned my head from side to side getting all of the cricks out before breathing out, feeling my muscles start to relax and my shaking comes to a stop. The boat rocked under us as I laughed, remembering when I first saw the Titanic or was it Margret who saw the Titanic? It was huge, with silver glinting in the sun, the waves crashing down on the hull of it. My body slumped down as I faintly heard someone ask if I was okay. I dipped my hand in the water not even registering the cold and felt my body rock back and forth with the waves, just like the Titanic did. I hummed a tune I've never heard and laughed darkly when I recognized it wasn't from my memories, but Margret's. It was a rushing feeling. I felt ice crawling around my body, but I no longer felt the chill of the weather. This was new, different. I felt stronger, despite the trauma I had experienced. Alienated for certain, but as though I had lost all feeling in my body and was just now relearning how to move in it. It was invigorating; it was far past satisfying. And as I looked at the other survivors, a hunger swept through me. I was insatiable. I heard a small gasp, my head drooped down to look at a small boy. I wondered what his life was like, how much he knew. I smiled at him, my teeth glinting and a slight twitch in my eye, This will be fun. I thought.