Chapter 8

Chapter 8:  New

The hostility that just filled the room was so thick you could cut it with a knife.  Lian looked like the Demerol had just fled her body, there were no more giggles coming from her.  She was staring at Louis in awe and wonder.  He had yet to appear to notice anyone but Harry.  And to Harry there was nothing but open resentment and hostility.

Lian and I looked to each other, I just shrugged not having any idea where this was going.

“Louis!  You’re Ok!  I couldn’t find you and was so worried!”  Harry strode purposely towards Louis and went to embrace him, with tears rolling again.

Louis was having none of that and put his arms up to keep Harry at bay.

Harry stopped, looking crestfallen.

“Louis?  What, what, what is going on?  Are you in pain?  Why can’t I hug you?  Where are the other guys?  I saw Niall and he said you were all here, what’s wrong?”

Some of the anger left Louis eyes but was replaced with confusion and doubt.  He was staring at Harry like he was a stranger he didn’t know.  It was incredibly awkward.

“Well excuse me  please!” Cheri was the first to break this awkward moment.  “I have a patient that needs to get in bed and needs medication.  I must remind you all this is a hospital!  Now, unless you are a patient or parent, I must insist that you leave.  Security included!  My patient needs care!”

Jonathan immediately jumped into high gear again as did another ‘man in black’ security person.  But before they could do much, Paul strode in the room and quickly assessed the situation.  “Louis, they have a room ready for you now.  The doctor is wanting you to get some rest and he is going to recheck everything in the morning.  We put you in with Niall.  His knee was so swollen they promptly admitted him upon seeing him.”  He turned to Harry, “Everyone is mostly all right.  Minor injuries.  Liam and Zayne are across the hall.  Both have a few broken bones.”  Turning back to Louis, “Now, you are next door, let’s go get you in bed, the nurse wants to get your vitals before you go to sleep.  I am sorry for the intrusion,” he said directed to Cheri. “Please take good care of Lian, get her and her mom anything they need.  Harry, you get to bed, and no more roaming off!”

He turned on his heal, grabbed Louis by the elbow which got a wince and a rather unpleasant swear word, and they left the room. 

As they left, another hospital staff member arrived pushing in another smaller bed and started arranging it by what was to be Lian’s bed.

“About time” Cheri snapped.

She then went to work getting Lian to bed, another shot of Demerol and a warm blanket.

“The other bed is for you Jillian.  It’s small, but surprisingly comfortable.  This way you can stay with Lian tonight.  I’m sure you don’t want to leave her right now.”

“No, I don’t.  Thank  you.”  I walked to the bed and sat down to take my shoes off.  The exhaustion suddenly taking hold of me.

Harry was still standing stock still in the middle of the room.  He looked to be in shock, like he couldn’t believe what had just happened.  I must say, I was terribly confused as well.

Another nurse came in followed by the same staff member who brought the bed.   The nurse went to Harry and took his arm and directed him to his bed.

“It’s ok now Harry.  See, everyone is safe and ok.  But you need to get some rest young man.  The doctor is very concerned about this memory loss.  He gave me a mild sedative for you so you can get some sleep and hopefully after some of the shock has worn off you will be feeling much better in the morning.  To bed now.”

He followed like a puppy.  Still the tears flowed.  “Niall was right.  He hates me.  Why?  Why?”  He climbed into his bed and the nurse hooked up his IV and gave him some medication.

The other staff member left a set of scrubs and a toothbrush for me.  I slipped into the restroom to change and freshen up as best I could.  When I came out, Lian was sound asleep.  But harry was not.  He was laying on his side hugging a pillow and softly crying.  I watched him for a few minutes, until his eyes finally drooped shut and he appeared to have fallen into a drug induced sleep.

I went to my bed and lay down.  As the exhaustion started  to take hold I heard “Good night mom, thank you, I’m sorry.”

“Good night Harry, you’re welcome and nothing to be sorry about.  Sleep well.”