Chapter 5: My Ultimate Blessing

Surprisingly, after the detour and making the ring with Hephaestus, the rest of the trip was almost completely without incident. I kept expecting a blazing form to fall from the sky or something and I would have to single-handedly save a dying Olympian, but it never happened. All I got were some nice warm winds as I seemed to bend the space, sprinting to New York impossibly fast. 

Finally, I saw Manhattan and the Long Island Sound ahead of me, and I could hardly believe I was done. Nothing had gone the way I necessarily wanted it to, but it didn't go the way I didn't want it to, either. I was still alive, even if I didn't appreciate all the blessings and power I got along the way. 

It was like the universe was telling me I needed to be ready, to get even more powerful than I already was so I could handle the coming challenges. I didn't want any more challenges, whatever the dumb universe thought I was needed for.

I slowed down at the end, breathing heavily but standing tall and alert, as always. One lesson I'd learned was that no matter how tired you were, if you stood straight while you caught your breath than any monster would think twice about attacking you, and it would be harder to catch you by surprise.

Waiting at Thalia's pine tree, next to Peleus, was Athena and Hermes, who were standing at least ten feet away from each other. The tension between them seemed to relax as I appeared, and their smiles looked less forced when they looked at me. 

"Hey guys," I panted, walking up the hill agonizingly slowly. "Sorry I'm late, didn't know there was a party."

Hermes grinned at me. "There's always a party when I'm around." He paused, pondering. "Wait, that's Dionysus. My bad." He shrugged.

Athena's smile suddenly seemed strained again, and I bowed. "Perseus Jackson," she intoned.

"I don't like that," I muttered, but she ignored me. 

"You have completed what I asked for, even exceeding my expectations. You may propose to my daughter; you have my blessing."

"Yes!" I shouted jumping up and punching the air. Some campers heard and started migrating towards the tree, then more and more of them started coming as word spread that I'd returned. I wish I'd caught the sly look in Athena's eyes. She'd been way sneakier than the others. I thought "you have my blessing" meant like to marry Annabeth, but I realized later it was more than that. She actually gave me her blessing and I didn't even notice. 

Before I could run off, though, Hermes reminded me he was still there by clearing his throat loudly. "Hey, dude. I'm not just here for moral support."

"Oh! Right. Lord Hermes," I said bowing to him as well. He grinned

"So I've heard you just circumnavigated the entire globe, on foot," he said. I raised an eyebrow.

"You've heard? Wow, that's crazy. I thought it was this huge secret."

He rolled his eyes. "Anyways, I'm very certain this hasn't been done before by a mortal. You are the first, and I can't let such a feat in my domain go unrecognized."

"Again?" I asked, annoyed. "I already got plenty rewarded, let me tell you."

He shrugged. "Not by me," he said. "I hereby give you, Perseus Jackson, my full blessing. Use it well." He vanished.

"Notice he didn't say wisely," Athena muttered. "Well, someone has to." She cleared her throat. "Percy, use your gifts wisely," she proclaimed. "They are not meant to make you lazy and conceited, as they have done to other heroes. Use them cautiously and purposely, and don't let down your guard."

"Other heroes?" I asked in astonishment. "This has happened before?"

"No, Percy," she said, sighing like I was an idiot. Which I wasn't, by the way. She was the one that implied they'd done it before. "Other heroes grew corrupt with half the power you hold. We are placing a great deal of trust in you. And, if nothing else, you know you can simply use it to ensure the safety of Annabeth and any future children you might have together." She disappeared.