The Fixer: Chapter 3

Ryeowook looked as his wristwatch tensely. It's been half an hour since he's been waiting for his parents to pick him up at the train station at their province. He checked his phone but haven't received any messages from them. He's worried and nervous.

"Be open to your parents. Show them how you love them even in subtle ways, show them that you can get worried too. You're already at this age when you can even scold them if they worry you too much. Ha ha ha!" Jongwoon's reminder was ringing in his ears as if the older's just standing beside him.

[FLASHBACK]

"Hey, Ryeowook. Where are you going this holiday?" Jongwoon asked.

"Uh? Usually I'll just stay at home and if I happen to go outside it's only to buy necessities; foods and such," the slightly maroon haired man said while sipping his milkshake.

"Really? You won't go home to spend it with your family? Your parents?" Jongwoon often knows the answer to his questions but chooses to ask the latter every single time to study his reactions and delivery of answer. It was also a way to show interest rather than make it obvious that he already has his conclusions. He's making it seem natural. He needs his trust after all.

"There's one holiday where I spend it with my family once a year but this isn't it," Ryeowook deadpanned while stirring his milkshake. "Thought I could ask you to eat out but you seemed to have plans already?" the man with the milkshake assumed, speaking with a slight disappointment he tried to hide.

"Yeah, I do. I'm going home with my family for two days then come back before Monday," the older lied, he's not going anywhere this holiday. "You know, you should too! If you want to deepen your relationship with your parents you need to go home more often. It's not that far away. Just one train ride, right?" he continued, trying to sound like how a typical friend will advise.

"Yup, six hours. Do you think it'll help though?"

"Of course. Spending time with the people you care about helps progress the bond. Just be careful though. Don't be a rebellious kid when you get home," the man that Ryeowook finds odd chuckled and teased him while sipping a tea.

"Shut it, Jongwoon," Ryeowook rolled his eyes. "Anyway, maybe I can do that. I'll stay for two days and come up with a good plan to have a good time."

After another month of hanging out, Ryeowook became even more comfortable with Jongwoon which is why whenever the older suggests something, even with a slight hesitation, he still agrees and does it willingly which will make the process progress now with ease.

"Good for you!" Jongwoon rubbed the younger's head, making his hair all messy which earned him a glare. Cute.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

"Ugh! Seriously though? They have phones but they don't contact me nor answer my calls to let me know what happened?!" the annoyed man stomped his right foot due to frustration.

He waited ten minutes more and was greeted far away by his parents, waving and running to him smilingly.

"Son/Ryeonggu!" shouted his parents simultaneously.

They stopped in front of him out breath. "My Ryeonggu!" his mother said while cupping his face.

"Mom, what happened? I thought we're supposed to meet here almost an hour ago?" Ryeowook said trying to calm himself.

"I'm sorry, sweetie. We got a flat tire on the way and fixed it for half an hour. I'm sorry." she frowned and hugged his son.

"Sorry, son. Have you been waiting for too long?" his father inquired calmly.

"I was..." Ryeowook suddenly heard Jongwoon's voice in his head again. "...but that wasn't the point. I was worried for you guys. I was waiting here without any idea of what has happened to the both of you."

His mother hugged him tight. "Aw, my baby is a man now! Since when did you get worried about us? Honey, my Ryeonggu is so sweet!" she bantered at his son while pinching his cheeks.

His parents may not contact him often since they're both preoccupied with each other but whenever he shows himself to them, his mother will get all clingy while his father just watches them lovingly. They weren't used to worrying about each other regardless of the seemingly good relationship because both sides tolerated it but now Ryeowook has to change it. They only have each other after all.

"Mom, I'm already twenty-eight. Stop it," Ryeowook protested cutely while his mother's still playing with his cheeks.

"Are you though? My baby looks like he's still fifteen!" she cooed.

"Mom, please stop it. Let's go home," he said while taking her hands off him.

Her mother only laughed then linked her arms with his father.

They all went to the parking lot and drove off from the train station.

"So, mom? How's everything here?" Ryeowook asked awkwardly while washing his hand in the kitchen.

"Not much, darling. Why do you ask?" his mother replied while taking out vegetables from the fridge to make dinner.

"Oh, nothing. Just trying to catch up with whatever you guys were or are doing," he said then placed some kitchen tools/wares on the countertop to help his mother.

"You really have changed, baby. Are you sick?" she said then chuckled, referring to the question and her son's gesture.

"Come on, mom. I'm just being a son here," Ryeowook grunted.

"Okay, okay. Well, your father and I started planning something for the backyard. You know, something to do together. It's not really a news now," she stated like it's not a big deal.

Wow! We sound like next door neighbors who just bumps into each other while recycling trash outside the apartment building. Wait, no. Even neighbors are better than this—Ryeowoook sighed in disappointment, realizing how they act like strangers when it comes to these things that they share so little for him to start a good conversation.

He shook his head and was even more determined to change whatever relationship he has with his parents.

"It is news to me. Tell me more about it," he said then started chopping with his mother.

"Um, well... we have a well-thought lay-out on how the backyard will look like and just this week, we started looking for suppliers and other things we can incorporate with our plan."

"That's sounds fun! Do you want my help with anything? Anything at all," he offered enthusiastically.

"Do you want to?" his mother asked with hesitation.

"Of course, you're my mom!" he excitedly said. Hearing his mother even though hesitantly gets interested is enough for him to find a reason to pursue his plans.

"Okay, baby. Thank you!" she said then patted his head.

Going to the beach is officially cancelled now—he got excited that he has found a more exciting way to bond with his parents.

--

[A/N: I really hope I can update soon because I seriously don't know what to write next.]