Chapter 15

Disclaimer: This chapter contains scenes that may be inappropriate to young readers.

Chapter 15

Carlyle shivered lightly as the cold wind blew from behind him. He pulled over the cloak's hood and pushed open lightly the garden's small wooden gate. He could barely see his surroundings through the faint cloudy moonlit night.

He heard a rustle from his right side. He bent his knees lightly into a stance, ready to attack. He heard the rustle again. He took smalls steps on the brick pavement, listening attentively to his surroundings. He heard footsteps getting nearer. He frantically scanned for a place to hide as his heart raced.

The footsteps were now only a few feet away from him. He hid behind a bush, crouching down as low as he could. The footsteps suddenly stopped.

He slowly peered from behind and saw a golden haired maiden carrying an oil lamp, her back towards him. She slightly looked to both her sides, then continued moving forward.

"Cassandra?" Carlyle called out in a slightly low voice.

The maiden stopped. She was about to turn around when there was a slight rustle. She lifted the front hem of skirt and hurriedly went away.

"Cassandra, wait," Carlyle said frantically.

Carlyle was a bit agitated, he felt that something was not right, even from the moment of reading the letter. He had left his family without a word, which made him guilty, making him more uneasy.

He chased after her, but didn't seem to have caught up with her. He was at the back open garden of the villa, near the rose maze. The clouds have cleared and the pale silver light shown down the dark green leaves. He looked around, a bit breathless. Then he saw her, standing near the archway.

He let out a big breath. "Cassandra, at long last my lady," he said nearing her. "That was quiet a chase," he added jokingly.

Suddenly, everything around him went black. He was slightly gasping for air, as he felt a cord wrap around his neck. He felt a strong force knocking him down, and he felt pain on his knees. His arms were forced back by strong hands. He could feel something tying up his wrists from behind.

Gordon hurriedly went outside and met the cold night air. He ran down the stairs towards the rose garden. He almost tripped over a tree root, since he could barely see where he was going. He didn't bother getting himself an oil, he didn't want anybody knowing he was there.

He looked around breathless. He placed a hand over his chest, and looked around. He was perfectly fit, but his age had a toll on him. He heard someone talking. He slowly crept over to the entrance and saw a golden haired maiden running away. He then saw Carlyle chasing after her.

Cassandra hadn't known of this plan, and the duchess would not have used her own daughter to lure Carlyle. She must have planned something.

Gordon quickly ran after Carlyle, hoping he can make it in time to save the boy from falling into a trap.

"Send him to the dungeon," he heard a familiar female voice said.

He carefully moved towards an aisle of Thujas and hid behind it. He slightly peered between the flat leaves of the tree. He saw Carlyle, both hands bound behind his back and his head had a sack over it. He was pulled from the ground by a strong looking man, which Gordon presumed was the duchess' guinea pig. The man dragged Carlyle away from the duchess and the maiden.

"Well done," the duchess said facing now the maiden. The maiden looked up and took off her wig. She was the duchess' most trusted maid - Beatrice.