The Blood Is the Life (I)

(The use of Italic will represent dreams/flashbacks)

London, 1896

Mina's POV

"Is Jonathan here yet?" I ask Lucy while she helps me put on my necklace. I look at our reflection in the mirror and I smile at our image.

"Not yet" she says arranging my already arranged hair "He's apparently living to the term of being fashionably late"

"It's not that late yet" I calm her "Besides...you love being fashionably late"

"That I do" she says checking her make-up again

The door bell rings

"That must be him!" she says exited dragging me out of the room.

Lucy always did love a good party and the party tonight was certainly up her alley. A mysterious wealthy  American  has moved to London and invited everyone who was anybody to attend his party. We were all very intrigued and curious about who this Alexander Grayson was.

We take a carriage to Grayson's Manor.

Once we arrive we are asked to take our photograph, and soon we enter, both me and Lucy with our arms interlocked with Jonathan's. I gasp in wonder. The ballroom was beautiful, people were already dancing the waltz with the help of an orchestra, while other chatted happily, all with a drink in their hands.

"It's breathtaking" I confess out loud.

Both Jonathan and Lucy had a look of wonder in their eyes.

A servant comes close and provides them with glasses of champagne.

"Well, isn't this exciting?" Lucy says in wonder grabbing a glass. "I'm liking this Grayson already."

"Thank you." I say to the servant as I grab a glass of my own.

"This glass is worth more than I earn in a week." Jonathan says looking at the glass stupefied.

I giggle. Poor Jonathan, live as a journalist certainly wasn't the most profitable one.

"Don't be gauche, Jonathan." Lucy reprimands, but of course Lucy being Lucy she has to say "Besides...it's worth more than you make in a month."

"Lucy!" I reprimand her. That was not a nice thing to say, even if it was true.

"I'm only having a bit of fun" she arguments with a teasing smile.

I can't help but smile back. I couldn't even be mad at her, that was just who she is.

"You're not cross with me, are you?" she asks Jonathan "I'd be simply devastated."

"Of course not. You're far too charming." he respond taking a sip of his drink

"I am, aren't I?" she says happily, as she looks around, her eyes landing on the man she had been trying to find. "I'm off." she declares "Now, you'll remember your promise, won't you?" she asks with a serious voice to Jonathan.

"I'm your guest tonight, not a journalist." he recites again. She has been reminding him of that during the entire way here.

"He's such a darling, isn't he?" she says, her voice filled with sarcasm, she makes her way to the man who she had set her eyes on previously "Alastair! You beast. Where have you been hiding?" I hear her say. I see him complimenting her and I can only smile at her confidence. She truly was something else.

"It's quite an eclectic group." Jonathan remarks "New money, old money, no money left." he says looking at the people scatter around the ballroom "Which do you suppose is Alexander Grayson?"