Chapter Four

Shylock's daughter, Jessica, escorted Lancelot to the door.

'I'm sorry you're leaving my father like this,' she said. 'Our house is hell, and you, a merry devil, relieved it of some of its tedium. But goodbye, and here's a ducat for you.' She looked at him hesitantly then drew a letter out of her pocket. 'Lancelot, tonight at supper you'll see Lorenzo, who will be a guest of your new master. Give him this letter, and do it secretly. And so, farewell. I don't want my father to catch me talking to you.'

'Adieu,' said Lorenzo. 'My tears speak for me. Most beautiful pagan! Most sweet Jewess! I'm much mistaken if a Christian didn't seduce your mother to produce you. But goodbye. These foolish tears are unmanly. Goodbye!'

Jessica watched him go then shut the door. It was goodbye to Lancelot. What a terrible sin it was in her to be ashamed to be her father's child. But although she was his natural daughter she wasn't his daughter in other ways. Oh Lorenzo! If he kept his word all her problems would be over. She would become a Christian and be his loving wife.'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bassanio's friends were making their arrangements for the fancy-dress party they had planned for the evening. They stood on a corner, trying to come to some agreement.

'No,' Lorenzo was saying. 'We'll slink away at suppertime, get into our costumes at my lodgings and be back within an hour.'

'We're not ready yet,' said Gratiano.

'We haven't arranged the torchbearers yet,' said Salerio.

'It's no good unless it's properly organised,' said Solanio. 'It's better to drop it.'

'It's only four o'clock,' said Lorenzo. 'We've got two hours to get ready.' His face became animated as Lancelot approached, hurrying. 'What's the news, friend Lancelot?'

Lancelot thrust the letter at him. 'If you'd like to open this you'll find out.'

Lorenzo scrutinised the envelope. 'I recognise the handwriting,' he said. 'It's beautiful, and the beautiful hand that wrote it is whiter than the paper it's written on.'

'A love letter, I'll bet!' exclaimed Gratiano.

Lancelot made to walk on. 'If I may go,' he said.

'Where are you going?' said Lorenzo, looking up from the letter.

'Indeed sir!' Lancelot sniggered. 'To invite my old master, the Jew, to supper with my new master, the Christian.'

'Hold on,' said Lorenzo. He took a ducat out of his pocket. 'Take this. Tell dear Jessica I won't let her down. Tell her in private.'

Lancelot grinned and took off.

'Go gentlemen,' said Lorenzo. 'Get ready for tonight's masque. I've arranged my own torchbearer.'

'Right,' said Salerio. 'I'll get on with it straight away.'

'Me too,' said Salanio.

'Meet me and Gratiano at Gratiano's in about an hour.'

'Perfect,' said Salerio.

When they had gone Gratiano said: 'Wasn't that a letter from the beautiful Jessica?'

'I have to tell you everything,' said Lorenzo. 'She's told me how to take her from her father's house, what gold and jewels she'll bring, and how she's going to dress as a page.'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shylock and Lancelot came out of Shylock's house together. Shylock shook his head and tutted. 'Well you will see,' he said. 'Your eyes will be the judge as to the difference between Old Shylock and Bassanio.' He turned impatiently to the open door. 'Jessica!' he called. 'You won't stuff yourself as you've done with me. What, Jessica! Or sleep and snore and wear out your clothes.' He called more insistently: 'What, Jessica, I say!' He was holding a ring of keys and he rattled them impatiently.