Pretty Tattoo

Kalic, Tenak, Itac, Kima and Aio were all following Taïki through the forest, heading for their little camp. None of them said anything. Aio couldn't tell if the other kids were scared of talking while Taïki was still there, or just thinking.

The tall man with a strange tattoo on his face hadn't said anything since they left the combat scene. He always seemed so dull and cold inside. Every time the redhead took a glance at him, he would meet piercing icy blue eyes, sending in him a very uncomfortable feeling. As if tiny iced spears sliced his soul bit by bit.

All kind of warmth the leader may have had when Aio met him simply left his eyes.

Had something happened?

Was he being cold because it was his role to do so as a judge? Or did he start doubting Aio, like Nemuka did?

A thought violently hit the redhead.
The day before, when he passed out, someone came to help his Teacher. Could that person have been Taïki? Did he—like her— see something that made him think of Aio badly? If he were there, what had he seen?

Aio couldn't believe it all happened just a day ago, it seemed to him that they were all in the forest for days... But thinking about it, if it had been the case Kalic would've already found a way to die. And he probably would have been dead by now without Aio.

The redhead hurried to the front of their group as he reached their camp. He needed to ask.

He needed to know.

Pushing Tenak out of his way—which earned him a protesting grunt—, he reached the Warriors' group leader.
Softly tapping him on the arm, the boy asked the question that burnt his throat.

"Were you there when it happened?"

It was only after the words came out that Aio realised how ridiculous he sounded. If Taïki hadn't been there, the man would think the redhead was even more crazy.

But even as surprised as he seemed, the man nodded with a deep look. He glanced at the other kids getting back to their stuff, before taking the young boy in front of him by the arm and shoving him aside behind a tree.

Aio could feel his heart panicking in his chest, even more than when he saw the Sawtooth between the trees.
But Taïki wasn't going to hurt him! Was he? The redhead guessed worry could be read on his face, because Taïki's expression softened. The tall man passed a nervous hand in his hair before putting it on Aio's shoulder, facing him. With a neutral tone he said:

"Yes, I was there. I took you back to Nemuka's tent."

Aio realised he'd been holding his breath so far, and let out some air. A hundred more questions pressed him, but he decided to go with the louder one boiling in his head.

"What did you see?" He asked, with a shaky voice.

He was not even sure he wanted the answer, but it tortured him not to know.
Taïki withdrew his palm from the boy's shoulder to let it hang by his side. His eyes went dark and his breathing slightly heavier. The shades from the sun over the trees formed light shapes on the man's face. Shadows dancing around his eyes, nose and lips as he spoke.

"When I heard Nemuka call for help, I had just gotten out of my sister's tent. I ran down the slope to find her over you, almost in tears." He paused, glanced up to the leaves above him then back at Aio, wondering if he should continue.

But at this point, Aio was drinking his words, needing more.
With a sigh, Taïki added:

"You were shaking and there was a bit of blood on the snow. At first, I didn't understand. Then I saw Nemuka holding your sleeve. She was showing me a glowing thing on your arm. An inscription."