[Chapter Three]

A cry for help

Merlin had taken the sword back to Gaius, who had been particularly intrigued by it. Once it was cleaned off, Gaius examined it, using a piece of moldable clay to test how sharp the sword was. It was obvious that the sword had been enchanted with the intent to injure someone. Only the knights would have come into contact with this particular sword, it had a unique look and, inferred from the great quality, it was created in Camelot's royal forge. Whoever had created it must have had contacts inside Camelot to help them get the sword made and prepared for Arthur to use it.

It was a wonder to how Arthur had made it this far in his life before Merlin arrived, there had been incidents happening almost every week in which Arthur's life would be put in danger. Merlin's head was clouded with questions once more, now more than ever, he felt the urge to question Gaius.

"Morgana does have magic, doesn't she." He pried, hoping that Gaius would speak only the truth. 

Gaius sighed, nodding "She does, but she can't know, it's safer this way." He tried to sound sure but did not quite believe it himself.

"How is that the truth, if I was going through what she is, I'd want to know. She's alone in this and no one should have to be alone. Sorcery in a kingdom in which it is outlawed, that's a lot of pressure that she is under." Gaius sighed again, examining the sword again.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Morgana paced in her chambers, thinking about who she truly trusted the most in the world. Four people came to mind; Gwen, Gaius, Arthur and Merlin.

Gwen, her caring maidservant, knew about Morgana's nightmares already and tried as hard as she could to comfort her yet it had little effect and she hadn't been much help to bring Morgana any sense of peace. Arthur, her half-brother, the future king of Camelot, the future king to a place where magic and sorcery was outlawed. Gaius, the court physician, he had been the person to cure almost every sickness and injury that Morgana had ever had, yet he refused to believe that Morgana's nightmares were magic, or at least consider that it could be.

With that, it left one person, Merlin. Her brother's handsome, devoted and loyal servant. There was nothing that Merlin wouldn't do for the Prince or even Camelot itself. Would Merlin accept that she had some form of sorcery in her? Or would he betray her to make himself look better in the Prince's eyes? Morgana hoped that the first option was the most likely one. She was the king's ward, no one would believe that Morgana had magic anyway, especially not if Merlin, a servant had reported it.

Thinking back to how Merlin and Arthur had met, Morgana realised that Merlin never did anything for his own wellbeing. Merlin hadn't respected Arthur, even when he found out who Arthur actually was.

A knock at the door pulled Morgana from her thoughts. She had somehow managed to be laid across her bed with a pillow over her face. Once she sat up and fixed her hair, she called out "Come in."

The door opened and Merlin appeared, his usual grin plastered on his face. One arm was hidden behind his back and the other was still placed in what looked like an uncomfortable position in the bandages. He then moved his free hand and brought it to his front, revealing a bouquet of Morgana's favourite flowers. Morgana couldn't help but smile.

"You looked stressed earlier when you came to visit Gaius so I went on a little adventure to find you these flowers," Merlin said, his small grin widening at the sight of Morgana's smile. She rose to her feet and took the flowers from Merlin and put them into an empty vase. Merlin watched how she carefully placed the vase on her dresser, making sure that it complemented everything else on it. Once she was satisfied, she turned around and looked at Merlin, making eye contact, but not saying anything. "Are you alright, M'lady?" 

"I... Not really Merlin." Morgana said, sitting on the edge of her bed, contemplating whether she should tell him about her nightmares and what she thought they meant. He sat beside her on the bed.

"Want to talk about it?" 

"Well, you know about my nightmares, I know you were listening through the door when I talked to Gaius about them." Merlin nodded. "I... I think I have magic, Merlin. Please help me." Merlin looked shocked at first at her sudden outburst of helplessness. Morgana looked into his eyes again and hugged him, "Please help me, Merlin, please."

Merlin wrapped his arm around Morgana, rocking her slightly. "I think you have magic too, in fact, I know that you have magic." She hugged him tighter as if to try and escape from reality for a moment, releasing him a little when he winced in pain. "It's okay, I know that sorcery can be used for the good, it doesn't have to be evil. You are not evil Morgana, that's why I'm being honest with you."

Merlin freed himself from Morgana and kneeled in front of her. 

"I'm going to show you something and all I would like you to do, is not to scream or shout for the guards, okay?" Morgana nodded. Merlin pulled his arm free of the bandage, yelping quietly, but cupped his hands. "Blóstmá." When Merlin removed one of his hands to reveal a tulip, the same colour as Morgana's eyes, now in his previously empty hand. Morgana gasped in awe, taking the tulip from Merlin and looking at it closely. It took a good few minutes before Morgana realised that Merlin had done sorcery as she had been distracted by the beauty of the tulip.

"You have magic too," She said, looking back at Merlin, who just nodded.

"You see, not all sorcery is bad, some can be used for good and pretty things." 

"Could you teach me?" Morgana asked, determined to learn more about sorcery and what she could make happen.

They spent the next two hours practising magic and laughing, feeling like they could finally breathe, they could finally be completely themselves with someone else around.

-----------------------------------------------------------

1050 words

I have been working on this chapter all day, I had a major writer's block since most of my creativity comes at the most awful times, when I'm supposed to be trying to sleep, between 11 pm and 2 am. I hope that you liked this chapter and if you have any questions, comment here and I will answer them.

- Ruth