Five

Any whisper that had been fluttering around the classroom vanished as soon as Cassie Swan dared the teacher. Rosalie took this opportunity to leave the front of the class and head to her seat, in front of her brothers, she could see that Edward followed her as she walked but Jasper's stayed on the new girl, his frown still settled, and confusion evident on his face.

"Why were you helping her?" Edward asked in a low whisper that only his siblings could hear, Rosalie sat down and took her books out carefuly before turning back to her brother and giving him a half-confused look, one that represented her own interior confusion.

As Rosalie shrugged at her brother's question, her golden eyes moved to her twin brother, who had yet to tear his confused eyes from Cassie's defiant figure.

"If you keep staring at her like that your face is going to get stuck." Rosalie whispered to her twin brother, who quickly relaxed all of his face muscles and forced his eyes away from the new girl in class.

"Please have a seat Miss Swan." The teacher muttered to the Chief's eldest daughter, the way she stared at him reminded him too much of the Chief of Police, in a way that he didn't really like. Cassie didn't wait to be told twice as she slid into the first seat available, which unfortunately for the teacher was in the front row.

AP Calculus BC class went by slowly, too slowly for all of the student attending it, but for once in their lives, the Hale twins weren't complaining, Rosalie had tuned into the hummingbird-like heart beat, and Jasper was trying to understand why the scent of wet forest, coffee and Lavender caused a deep internal turmoil within him, a turmoil that was a mix of craving it, in which way, Jasper didn't understand, and the need to protect.

Edward was merely amused by the minds of both his siblings, although he was also intrigued by the new girl, a slight burning sensation starting at the back of his throat, more than usual, almost as if he'd eaten something spicy and needed the something sweet to appease the burning.

The sound of scribbling on paper was a sound that filled the classroom for every student, with every once in a while chalk running across the blackboard.

─── ❖ ── ✦ ── ❖ ───

Despite her condition, Cassie nearly skipped down the stairs on her way to lunch, under the strange yet protective gaze of the Hale twins, who during Calculus had kept a keen eye on her. 

It was strange for students to see the Hale twins and one of their Cullen siblings following after someone, and while some assumed that they didn't want to snap at the clearly sick girl and tell her to move, while other had already started to spread their speculations through out the stairs and hall.