Chapter 18

Two days later...

Chameleon landed within sight of the jagged mountains.

The place Chameleon had thought of two days before was here: The Talon Pennisula.

If Pyrrhia was a dragon, then he would be on the dragon's front talon.

Chameleon perched on a boulder slightly raised above the river, carefully maneuvering himself so that he stayed away from the rocks that were constantly being sprayed with water. He tucked his tail in. A trout leaped out of the water and into the air.

Chameleon's sharp eyes spotted it, and he reached out with his claws to spear it.

He waited there for a couple more minutes and caught three more fish before dropping his kills onto the grass and devouring them.

Now that Chameleon was no longer hungry, he flew towards the mountains once more, his wings beating faster the more he approached them.

After a few minutes, Chameleon felt something zap his entire body. Startled, he glanced down at the rugged landscape below.

What was that? he thought,  bewildered. Then his stomach lurched. He saw white bones sticking from the dirt below him.

He felt there was a story as to why,  but he didn't want to take a closer look. Chameleon climbed higher into the sky, uneasy.

Suddenly, he saw buildings up ahead. He canted his wings towards them and dropped to the ground with a faint thud.

Chameleon stepped closer and placed a talon on the nearest structure. When he lifted his talon again, a talonprint was left behind- and there was a thick coat of grime stuck to his talon.

Ew, Chameleon thought, wrinkling his snout. You would think this place could be a bit cleaner.

Chameleon felt there was something off about the whole place, as if no one had come here for centuries.

That's it, he realized with a jolt, feeling much like the way he had when he crossed the mountains. That's why this place looks so unkempt.

He was standing in the ruins of an abandoned town.