An Offer

Chapter 42 – An Offer.

I reeled back as if I had been struck. I stared upwards, uncaring as rain pelted my cold cheeks and there was no shield to stop it soaking into my hair. Burning amethyst eyes filled my vision and His presence called to the old magic in my blood like a dark song. I was painfully aware of him, silver bursting in my veins in short and painful pulses.

Arrow startled beneath me, but I was mindless in the saddle. He was here. I had spent months dreaming of those burning eyes, hearing his mocking voice ringing in my ears. I had dreamed of having the chance to confront him and to get my revenge, but now...

I didn't feel ready.

Suddenly, a broad hand clamped down on my leg. I jolted in alarm and Gwen peered at me cautiously. The rain had plastered her curly hair to her forehead. "Shiny?"

"Aviana?" Fyr called to me on my other side. I didn't look at her, my gaze drawn upwards again. I was hooked again. I thought I would be ready for him, but in this rain with the cold sinking into my bones and hundreds waiting in the canyon behind me, I felt only fear – and I hated myself for that.

"It's him," I murmured.

The figure on the rise was unbothered by the rain and cold. He viewed us all for a moment before he turned away, his robes billowing out behind him. He vanished into the gloom without a word and alarm shot through me. "No!"

I jumped down from the saddle and the water sloshed around my boots. Wading forward, I looked up desperately and tried to search for a flash of something. Debris flowed downwards as the rain pelted the stone. Mud and rocks began to collect and it felt like I was standing in a stream. Lightning struck again and Arrow screamed as she reared, kicking out razor shod hooves.

The wind wasn't howling now, it was screaming. Wild and uncontrollable as it swept down through the rock, pulling at us. Giants clashed in the skies as it thundered.

"I sensed nothing from it." Kohen appeared like a wraith at my side. His expression was starkly feral. "That creature is not natural."

"I did not think so," My heart thundered in my throat and I tried to think of what I had packed on my body. Healing herbs, the Alelang blade. Heslan's knife. A roughly constructed map.

"You are going to go after him." Kohen murmured.

"Yes."

"Then I will go too."

I looked at him and the Zentin just stared back wordlessly. I knew then, I knew it was an honest statement made to me from the fire of his own heart.

"Birchwood!" I turned at the Captain's call. He had left his stallion by Fyr and the stallion was growing antsy in the storm. "What sent you riding out into the rain? Has the cold soaked into your brain?"

My attention flickered to the rise once more but there was nothing to be seen. The Captain watched me warily as I approached, boots sloshing in the filthy water. "He is here."

No name was needed apparently. Mahon startled for a moment, heavy granite brows breaking inwards as his scowl deepened. Those cold eyes surveyed behind me and the slowly, his attention returned to me. "If he is, then we are in more trouble than we realise."

"He has his followers call himself, the most Holy. He's a fool," Gwen snorted. "I won't be killed by a pompous ass who has a sword shoved right up his ..."