Chapter 11

A/N: So for those of you following the fanfic let me first apologize for taking so long to update. The worst imaginable happened: my computer short circuited. That means I lost not only fanfiction, but personal works and photos. A travesty. I was in mourning for a very long time. When you lose those things....I would relate it to someone telling you Dumbledore and Harry die in the Harry Potted series, but you've only read up to book 4 and you're addicted. You want to finish the story, but what is the point?! Finally you get enough gumption to read it, but it isn't the same. So now years later I've finally accepted the fact that my stories, my original outlines are lost. What I write henceforth will not be the same inspiration or mindset. And that saddens me, but as they say 'the show must go on!'

-----------------------

Chapter 11

"My dad is going to kill us. What do you think he is going to do that is worse than last time? You don't think he could keep us apart for a whole month?!" Renessme frantically paced the sand while Jacob sprawled below scratching his head.

"I don't even remember feeling tired or sleepy. I dropped the ball on this one Nessie. I am afraid whatever punishment your dad decides on will be fitting. I know I wouldn't have been a happy dad if I were in his shoes. We should have at least brought a cell phone out here."

"Oh!! I did!! Why didn't they call!?" Renessme ran to where her bag lay in the picnic basket from the night's dinner. In it, her cell phone showed one missed call and voicemail from her dad. Her heartbeat picked up before she got the nerve and hit play to listen to the recording and speaker so Jacob could hear as well.

"Nessie, it's past your curfew....I wanted to go pick you up myself, but your mother said words like responsibility, trust, and modern traditions....so I guess what I am trying to say is that after being assured by Alice, your mother, and a member from Black's pack that you were indeed safe, I trust you to be responsible and respect a mixture of your mother's and my traditions...." A more distant voice of Bella could be heard saying "Edward, you're not making any sense, just spit it out"
Edward continued. "You don't have a curfew unless you give us a reason to give you a curfew." Edwards voice got slightly far away sound to it as he pulled the phone from him "There. Does that spell it out? Now she's going to be out every night fornicating with dogs and never spending time with us anymore." Edwards voiced returned to normal volume as he finished the voicemail. "I love you. Please be safe."

The call ended and both Jacob and Nessie remained quiet.

Jacob broke the silence with a booming laugh.

Indignant, Nessie slapped his arm. "Now what is so funny?!"

"Your dad. He is just so old, I forget that sometimes. You could really hear it in that voicemail though. Even his manner of speaking slipped to his traditional way of speaking because he was was flustered and it's funny to see him all flustered. He is usually so controlling, it's refreshing having him realize very little in our lives can be controlled."

"Oh. I wouldn't call that funny."

"Sorry, I guess I learned to accept how to let things go for a good while now....it just seems like such an obvious things to do. You know your dad and I had our...battles, which he seemed to win because back then I tried so hard to force things. Learning to let it go... it's just funny ironic he hasn't seen that obvious fact of life considering he has been around...awhile."

Nessie stayed silent. All this talk of life and uncertainty. It brought up so many questions inside of her. Was there something out there in the world that she was missing out on because she was allowing her life to be so controlled?

----

True to his word, Edward had not said a word about Nessie's all night excursion. He had promptly avoiding Jacob like the plague though. All the girls had wanted all the romantic details of the night and after a family dinner, Renesme found herself anxiously awaiting week two of school. She would be arriving early for track practice, and was hoping she didn't get pressured to join a jock clique. She had really enjoyed Cole and Hazel's friendship and was hoping they would still sit together this week.

All week she had avoided thinking about her secret concerning their suspicious conversation when she was around her dad. Luckily he was out that evening hunting, so Renesme let her mind wonder about their whispered conversation. Hazel and Cole hadn't sounded like they were up to no good, aside from Cole apparently cheating. In fact they had sounded curious. Like they knew something about her, but they definitely did not know she was a dhamphr or even suspect her vampire family. Grandpa Carlisle even said so himself that the parents were completely ordinary.

She fell asleep dreaming of crazy possibilities. Superheros, fairies, aliens...

Renesme arrived at the school for track practice before any other students or staff. A low fog covered the track and gently parted as she set her things down on a bench. Taking a deep breath of the cool air, she began a slow jog. A very slow jog by even her own standards, and she began to question whether joining a sports team had been a good idea. But before she could think too much another pair of trainers could be heard hitting the paved track behind her. She glanced back to see another student slowly catching up, but his hooded sweatshirt obscured his face until he could get closer. She continued to jog forward and listened to his paced jog bring him closer. She began to hear the music playing from his iPod and assumed that he must have ear phones in. She heard a piece from Hayden that she had been practicing with her dad the evening before, and next thing she knew her mouth was speaking.

"Oh I love that piece! I can't seem to get it just right, but don't you just love the serene disposition? Perfect for a run I agree."

The guy had finally caught up and ran beside her. His hood had fallen back revealing black hair that feel straight across his forehead and cropped just above his ears. His square jaw had a trace of stubble and his nose was slightly crooked like he had been hit and wasn't set correctly. Overall he reminded her of Loki. But most striking were his green eyes. They seemed to know secrets, her secrets and the worlds.

Currently he had a bewildered look upon his face. He popped out his headphones, "You heard that? I didn't think I had it up that loud, but I agree that it is perfect for long distance. Helps keep the pace. I'm Theo Hoffman."

"I'm Renee, pleasure to meet you. So are you on the track team then?"

"Cross Country yea, but I mainly run to keep training during football's off season. And you play the piano?"

"I try. It is mainly my dad's desire for me to learn. I don't mind learning since it seems to make him happy to spend time together, but when he plays you can actually hear his heart. When I play...I hear lifeless notes."

"Sounds like your heart isn't into it."

Renesme chuckled at Theo's simple understated remark. "Well that's the problem. How do you tell your heart to get into the music?"

Theo smiled a simple yet knowing smile. "You show your heart. Take this piece by Handel. You can simply feel his emotions through the music. To me it sounds like he is floating through the air. Complete peace. What obstacles do you think he had to face before he could find that peace and cherish each moment of it?"

"So you're saying I need to face obstacles in order to find a peace I can play about?"

"Well, how can you play and tell a story about what you don't understand."

Renesmes stayed silent. She kept hearing this theme of life and understanding. The idea felt foreign and unobtainable and left her feeling restless inside. They finished their 3 mile run without talking, just Handel's piece playing in the background to their steady footfall. This time it was haunting rather than serene to Renessme.