Chapter 2

Outside the diner, a thin sheet of snow began to cover the road. If it got any thicker, the drive home would be long. And after this meeting, he didn't want to be left wit his thoughts.

"Look at me."

He didn't.

"Cory please."

So he did. Her eyes were a deep set brown color just as he remembered them the night before at Kyle's party. Against the gloomy glow of the day, her skin looked paler, dark circles ringing around her eyes. Her hair was a curly nest underneath a thermo batman hat. His hat, he realized with a pang of surprise.

"What about last night?"

"What happened?" She said.

"What do you mean 'what happened'? You were there. You should know."

"That's the problem," She bit lightly on her straw. "I don't remember."

"You're funny." He said.

"I'm not joking." She said.

"Right," He chuckled.

"I'm not! Look at me. Does it look like I'm joking?"

He stared at her.

"Then you must have gotten really drunk."

"I felt fine this morning." She said.

"It takes less for a light weight to get drunk." He countered.

"I'm not a light weight."

"Keep telling yourself that."

"Okay just stop it! Tell me what happened."

"You were with some friends at the party. I saw you drink, laugh and dance."

"Basic party stuff."

"Basic party stuff." He nodded.

"Did I do anything else?" She whispered. "with...anyone?"

"Well I don't know, Elora. And honestly don't want to find out who my ex-girlfriend has been with other than me." He snapped. She took her time slurping the rest of her soda.

"You're the last person I wanted to ask so please don't make this harder than it already is for me."

"Oh I'm so sorry this is so hard on you." He couldn't help the rise in his voice.

"Two months. Two months since we broke up. You broke up with me on the phone. You can't even look at me in the halls anymore. Now here you are, texting me to meet you here. Where we had our first date. Yeah, this is so hard for you Elora."

She said nothing for a long while, staring into the deep depths of her cup. It was empty.

"I regret the way things ended but please tell me what else happened and you won't see my face again."

"I don't know what else happened."

"You're keeping something from me." Her brows furrowed.

"Am I?"

" We dated for three months Cory. I know when you're hiding something."

"We broke up two months ago. I think I'm qualified to say that you don't know me as well as you think you do anymore."

She hastily pushed her cup, fumbling with the zipper on her coat.

"This was a mistake."

"Obviously." He grabbed his coat.

She pulled out a twenty from her coat pocket and placed it on the table. As she did this, she leaned into Cory, their lips mere inches away.

"I'll find out soon enough."

"That hat always looked better on you than it did on me." He pulled a curl beneath it. "Don't you think?"

She pulled back, surprise crossing her face. She zipped up her coat and strolled out of the Diner, a light glow on her cheeks. He grinned. Even after two months, he still had that effect on her. He waited until he saw her blue Jeep back out of the parking lot and onto the road before pulling out his phone. He went to his contacts, clicked the name and pressed call. It took two rings before a deep male voice answered.

"Hello?"

"Kyle, she doesn't remember."