Chapter 3

"Thank God." A loud exhale came out.

"Not yet. She knows that I'm hiding something from her. She just doesn't know what."

"Good. Lets keep it that way."

"For how long exactly?" He began to shrug on his coat.

"Just until she gives up."

"Elora doesn't give up." Cory snorted.

"Who says?"

"I say. I dated her, Kyle. She's as determined as I am on Finals week."

"Then we wait her out. She'll have to move on eventually."

Liek she did with me COry thought. He pulled up his hood before exiting the Diner. A gust of cold air rolled in. He got some glares as he stepped out.

"Yeah Maybe." He slid his gloves on.

"Do you think her memories will come back?"

Cory fumbled for his keys. They rattled as he pulled them out. He pressed a button. He saw his car's lights flash among the others.

"Nah. There's no way." He trotted, making sure to jump around the icy parts of the gravel.

"How are you so sure?"

He got to the handle of the driver's side and paused. That night, she saw him. It was a horrible and terrified scream he never wanted to hear again. He did a good job wiping those memories from her head. He knew it was the right thing to do at the time and yet in the darkness of that room, he tasted his tears on his lips.

"I just know." He finally said. He climbed in the car, turning the key into the ignition. His Toyota rumbled to life. He closed the door and pumped the heat.

"Well lets just hope you're sure. She can't ever know. No one can know who we were."

What we are Cory thought. Cory pulled the glove off his clammy hand. His body tensed as he brought forth a light stream of magic from his palm. The stream of magic was thin and he panted as he sent another to swirl in the air. It was getting harder to summon. 

"I know," he sighed and the magic disappeared but the tension always lingered. Always.