Duty and Devotion

(End of fall) (year one)

One of the many new traditions Merida enjoyed doing with her mother was horseback riding around the kingdom. Once or twice a month Queen Elinor would clear the day of any lesson plans or kingdom duties and dedicate the day to spending time with her daughter. Merida loved seeing her mother letting her long hair loose and early on she discovered that it was the only time they could really talk to each other. Merida just hoped today she would find some answers to her questions.

After riding all morning, exploring the woods, circling around the town and marketplace, and seeing ships off at the dock the queen decided to take a break by noon. Right outside the castle gates in a small open field the servants had already sent up a large size tent with a wooden table and chair with a spread of fruits and desserts already waiting for them. As Merida was tying the horses under a shady tree, she rolled her eyes watching the servants pulling out a chair for the queen.

"A perfect time fur a break, don't you think so dear?" said Queen Elinor, taking a seat, leaning against the chair and resting her eyes.

"But, mum, we barely broke a sweat, how much land did really cover? 15 miles?" Merida chuckled, joining her mom at the table grabbing an apple from the basket and taking a big bite. "And we don't need all this," gesturing towards the giant table with all the food, "we could have rested at mah cabin."

"Thank you for th' offer, sweetheart, but ye have your little Kingdom and I have mine 'n' we can both enjoy it how we wish" The queen smiled as she could hear the maiden pouring her drink.

Merida was hoping she would say something like that, to draw away suspicion whenever she would disappear to the cabin only in times when Hiccup came to visit.

While chewing at her apple, Merida took in the silence of the open field, only soft coocs from birds out in the distance, only close noises were made by the servants chopping away at the cutting board preparing lunch.

"When will th' clans be done with their council?" Ask Merida.

"Can't say fur sure dearie, we want to give yer father and the clan members enough time to discuss business."

"Aren't ye allowed to attend th' council mum?"

"As queen o' course I am, however after our rites of summer festive with the clans I think I have enough time with th' Macintosh to my liking." Queen Elinor said with a smirk.

"Especially when lord Dingwall didn't let ye lead during th' dance." finished Merida raising her eyebrows.

Merida and her mom shared a small laugh "Besides I much rather spend time wi' you love." Elinor reached over patting Merida hand.

"...Mum can I ask you something?"

"Mmhh?"

"Where is th' farthest ye ever travel?"

Queen Elinor finally sat up opening her eyes, as one maiden brought over a plate of food, the queen took the table cloth and laid it on her lap before she answered.

"As Queen we are expected to make an appearance wi' all the clans' kingdoms at least once, my voyage happened shortly after I married yer father,"she said, taking a sip of her drink.

"So never beyond th' clans islands? You never wonder what could be out there?"

"Full o' questions today aren't we? Where is all this coming from?"