Chapter Five

"Looks like she's leaving," Amy noted, looking out the windows of the lobby doors to the outside. "Damn it! I could've stopped her..." Amy looked back at Tiffany and saw the horrified state she was in. Uncontrollable tears were flowing down her pale face as she tucked her legs into her chest and held them there.

Amy hurried over to her best friend, crouched down, and tightly embraced her. She didn't want to spend much time comforting her because they needed to call the police as soon as possible, but she felt as if she really needed to calm Tiffany down.

"We can't just sit in here, Tiffany," Amy pointed out. "You know we can't."

"P-please just a little longer," Tiffany stuttered. "I...I don't think...I can get up."

Amy pulled back from the hug and looked at Tiffany with sympathy. "I have to call the police, but you don't have to move yet. We need to go to Mrs. Blocher or Mr. Murphy after that, but we can't wait too long. Hopefully, the police can catch Camilla before she gets home and at least find some evidence against her."

"Sh-shouldn't we..." A tremor went through Tiffany's body before she continued, "Shouldn't we tell Mrs. Blocher first? I mean, we don't have our phones..."

"No," Amy insisted. "They won't believe us since she cleaned up the evidence. We need to call the police now. We'll go back to the drama room and ask someone who's still there to use their phone. It's 6:11, but there should at least be someone there that will let us use their phone. If we have to, we'll need to convince Mrs. Melton or Mrs. Ottwein to call the police, but we shouldn't go to them first."

Tiffany closed her eyes, swallowed, and just barely nodded. Amy managed to smile and reached around Tiffany's leg to hold her hand.

"Come on, we have to hurry."

"I...I c-can't get up..."

"You have to try." Amy stood up, but Tiffany held her legs tighter as more tears formed. "Please...I don't want to go alone after that, and I definitely don't want to leave you alone." Tiffany stiffened up as dark scenarios flooded her mind. "You can do this."

Amy held out a hand for Tiffany. She looked up at it and reluctantly reached out her own trembling hand. Amy pulled her up until Tiffany's legs gave out. She clung to Amy's arm for support, shaking from the trauma.

Amy sighed and leaned forward. "Here, I'll carry you." Tiffany hardly hesitated to transition to Amy's back, but Amy had to grab her friend's legs and lift her weight because Tiffany was too terrified to lift herself.

She clung to Amy's neck in fear, and Amy began trekking towards the drama room as fast as she could with the added weight.

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

Though she had rehearsed it many times in her head, Camilla wasn't prepared for the stress of the tasks ahead. Had she never been caught, Camilla wouldn't have to rush through the final steps of her plan for the day. They were mostly the same as before, just drastically rushed because she knew the police would be hot on her tail, although she had taken both of the witness's phones.

She ran up to the back doors of the agricultural building, the greenhouse just behind her. She prayed it would shield her from the view of anyone in the parking lot, though she had seen no one there before. She swiped out a teacher identification card (that she had stolen in her freshman year) and unlocked the doors.

There was only one camera in the agricultural building, but it was in the back of the only hallway and faced toward the front, so she wouldn't be caught in the view of the camera because she was so far back. The cameras also didn't record audio (which she knew because they had no microphone), so Camilla was free to make as much noise as possible.