Chapter 24

Xavier was running late. He had a business lunch with a colleague that ran longer than expected so he made a quick stop at home and rushed over to Naomi's. He didn't know how he got roped into being apart of her wedding but he had gladly accepted. They all had remained close over the years and he and hung out most times with his brother and David who were fraternity brothers. Xion was apart of the groomsman and Naomi said it just made sense that he be apart of their day too. He was like family to them. He was glad that everyone could put the past behind them and develop lasting friendships.

As he turned onto their street he grew nervous. Of course she would be there. She was the maid of honor. Even though he hadn't seen her in seven years he knew her whereabouts and whenever she came to town. But he had always kept his distance. He never called her or came around when she was here. Today was unavoidable. They would have to see each other eventually. He pulled into the winding driveway a found a parking spot. He cut the engine and took a deep breath. How would she react to seeing him again? Would she look even more stunning in person as she did on Facebook? He was tripping, he had to get himself together. This was Layla. His Layla? He didn’t have anything to be nervous about. He gave himself a mental pep talk and exited the car. He grabbed his garment bag out the back seat, rang the doorbell and entered the home.

"Hello, Hello!" He shouted. David rounded the corner and greeted him. "Yo! Xav, what's up man." They gave each other a handshake hug. "Man. I'm beat. You know work never ends. Sorry I'm late." "Ah, man you good. From one working man to another I understand dawg. Come on the guys are holed up in the solarium.  Those loud mouth hens you hear are in the library." He joked as they walked towards the back of the house. "OK, cool. Hey do you have a room where I can change into this thing?" Xavier asked holding up his tux. David shook his head. "Right. My bad bruh. Go on upstairs and there should be a room free on the left." "Cool. See y'all in a minute" they dapped again and he jogged up the stairs. He turned the first knob on the left , it was locked. He went to the second door and turned the knob and the door opened. He knocked just to be sure. No answer. He entered and breathed deep. OK, so no Layla.... Yet. As he entered the room he noticed it was dark. It was only seven pm and the sun was just barely lowering so the shades must have been drawn. He walked into the center of the room and stood waiting for his eyesight to adjust. As he stood still his nostrils pick up the faint scent of peaches. He caught sight of the light coming from under the bathroom door and shook it off. He walked blindly over, turned the knob and walked in. He hung his garment bag up and began undressing. As he changed into his tux he thought of her, never far from his mind. It was no secret that he still loved her. Even after all these years. Hell anyone close to him knew his feelings still ran deep. He told her he would always be there waiting and he was. That didn't mean he had led a celebate lifestyle, but he would forsake anyone for her. That's how much he loved her. Still. But she never tried to reach out to him, come see him. Nothing. He had set her free seven years ago and she had to find her own way back home. If she still wanted too. Over the years she'd been gone they only contact he had with her was through email and the local florist shop in her area. They acknowledged their child's birthday, but nothing more. No personal emails or phone calls. It had been over seven years since he heard her voice. He wouldn't admit it but he kept tabs on her through Facebook. He would go on a rage when she was in a relationship, and he would smile when she said she was curled up at home with a book. Still his Layla. He smiled and inspected himself in the mirror. As he turned to exit the bathroom a form lying across the bed caught his eye. He walked over to the bed and inspected it. It was still dark inside the room so he couldn't see a face. He didn't know this room was occupied. He reached down and snapped the lamp on the beside table on. Soft light flooded the room as he glanced down at a still, sleeping Layla.

It was like a punch to the gut. He inhaled sharply, gasping for air. The girl, no woman. She was clearly a woman now, who haunted his dreams and occupied his mind, lay less than a foot away. He drug a hand over his face and took in her form as she lay sleeping on her side. She lay on top of the covers in jeans and a thin sweater. He started with her feet. He inspected her little blush colored toenails. They loked like they needed kissing. Then he traced the outline of her jeans up her legs, thighs and over her butt. He shuddered. She had grown up and out. Her legs were a little longer but he could see that she was still short. Her thighs. Oh, damn her thighs were thicker and her ass was plumper. He grew hard instantly. His eyes continued their peepshow and traveled up her body to her heaving breasts. They looked so plush every time they rose. His erection strained painfully against his zipper. He finally tore his eyes away and found her face. The face he stared at through the computer screen and old photos. She was here in real life. He could touch her? Her face was makeup free and she looked just as beautiful as she did when she was twenty. He couldn't see her brown eyes but he would bet his life that they were as soft and warm like he remembered. He wanted to reach out and touch her but held back and just watched her. He re-memorized her face and studied her mouth. Her lips were plump, bare and parted slighted. It would be so easy to slip his tongue inside and relearn the taste of her mouth. He couldn't resist anymore. His hand snaked out and softly caressed her face. He ran a finger down her forehead to her jaw. He cupped her cheek and stroked her face softly. She stirred and snuggled her face into his hand, moaning something unintelligible. His heart fluttered. It was beating uncontrollably in his chest. He knew he should go before she woke up but his feet wouldn't move. It took everything he had to pull his hand back but he continued to stare at her. God he loved her. Still? Hell yes! Many a days he wished he didn't. He wished he could be angry with her, forget her. But he only wanted to hold her again. Seeing her now, he knew he would never ever be complete without her. He turned, gathered his things quietly and exited the room. He knew he had to have her again. And this time for keeps.