Chapter 37

Layla lifted the grocery bags from her trunk and slammed it closed. She hoisted the two bags on her thick hips and sighed. Her department had been scheduled for mandatory overtime everyday for the past three weeks and she had barely made it through the two extra hours every day. She took a deep breath, straightened her back and walked across the deck to the elevator. She was so lucky she didn’t have to take any stairs. Her feet had begun to swell most days and her body ached more and more as they baby grew.

She rode the deck elevator to her floor and stepped off. She sniffed the air as she walked down the hall and her stomach growled. There were only four condos on her level and most of her neighbors rarely cooked anything. She stopped in front of her door and frowned. The smell was coming from her place. Ethan? He was the only one who had a spare key, well besides Xavier. But she hadn’t heard from him since that fiasco at his house. She had to admit she was heartbroken that he didn’t come after her, didn’t even call. Did he really believe that she was carrying another man’s baby? She shook the thoughts from her head. If he could believe such things then it just fueled her anger and firmed her decisions. But It had been three weeks and she’d be lying if she said that she didn’t miss him something awful. Am I really capable of being a single parent? She clicked her teeth and straightened her back. Her and her baby would be just fine.

She sat one of the bags on the floor, unlocked and closed the door. She walked down the hallway and entered the spacious room. Her kitchen was to the left of the open floor. She didn’t see anyone. She walked through the dining room and into the kitchen stopping once she reached the stove. She sniffed the air above the closed lids and her stomach rumbled. “Mm. Bless you Ethan.” she murmured. As she turned around she let out a yelp and dropped one of the bags. The contents of the bag went rolling across the hardwood floor and she clutched the remaining bag in her hands.” Shit!” she grumbled.  "Xavier?” she whispered.

He stood with his shoulder propped against the wall in the archway. He had heard her when she came in and had watched her in the kitchen silently. He knew she was surprised. His eyes travelled over her body. Her hair was in a ponytail with a bang and she had on light makeup. She wore a clingy red tunic that showed off her noticeably big baby bump with jeans and wedges on her feet. She was seven months pregnant now and she looked…beautiful. Her light cocoa skin was smooth and free of blemishes; her body looked thicker, and lush and probably felt as such. His eyes roved over her breasts. Mercy! He shifted his stance on the wall. She was beautiful carrying his child and he wanted her with a fierceness. He wanted to gather her in his arms, claim her mouth and ravage her body but he held back. She’d probably sock him over the head if he came near her.

Layla clutched the grocery bag to her as if it was an extra accessory. She pulled in a shaky breath. God that man is fine! He stood in her kitchen wearing a navy blue pinstriped suit that was tailored just for is hard body. Dark eyes that visibly held lust watched her. As he ogled her body she felt a twitch in her pussy. She was so damn horny she wanted to rush him and mount him! She shook the thoughts from her mind and stomped down the small inkling of joy she felt in seeing him. “What the hell are you doing in my condo?” she demanded trying to harden her voice and not let her emotions show. He stared at her a little longer and cleared his throat before speaking. “I have a couple of business meetings here and I decided to drop by. After all we still have unfinished business to discuss.” His eyes zeroed in on her belly. Truthfully he had actually taken leave from the law firm until further notice. His family had hounded him about his behavior but he simply told him he needed a vacation. He hadn’t told them anything about the baby because he didn’t really know anything his damn self. But they all would know soon enough. He planned on bringing her home as his wife.

She rounded the island and sat the bag on the counter. “Well drop your ass back out! We have nothing to discuss.” She spat turning her back to him. “And leave my key on the way out.” She harrumphed. She could feel his body heat pressing at her back. He didn’t touch her but he was so close she could feel his breath fan her neck. She shuddered, inhaling his masculine scent. Her pussy clenched. Damn. Not now hormones! “I’m not leaving until we discuss some things. Especially my baby.” He said with finality. She boiled. “So now it’s your's huh?” she clicked her teeth and shook her head. Men! She was suddenly spent around carefully and her eyes widened. Xavier braced his hands on either side of the counter blocking her in. He breathed down on her. “Are you saying it’s not?” he stared her down, daring her to lie or say otherwise.” She scowled. “It’s MY baby!” she gritted and turned her head away pushing against him. He grunted satisfyingly and backed away. “I made dinner. We can eat and talk afterwards.” He said reaching around in the cabinet for plates.” She scrunched up her face. “I already ate. Just give me my damn key and you can be on your merry way Xavier.” She demanded. He gave her a look that said “Yeah right, when hell freezes over.” she bristled and stomped out.

Layla slammed the door to her bedroom closed with a huff. She was not only out of breath but she was pissed off as well. The nerve of that bastard! She headed to her walk-in bathroom to take a shower but stopped in her tracks. She glanced over at her queen sized bed which held almost five medium to large sized suitcases. “I know this fool didn’t pack my bags!” she cursed and stomped over to the bed. She immediately unzipped one and pulled out men’s jeans. She dug in again. Boxers, men’s shirts, socks. What the hell? She stomped back down the hall and into the dining room where Xavier was setting the table. “Why are your FIVE suitcases in my bedroom?” she eyed him suspiciously. He glanced up at her calmly, grinning. “Oh, I didn’t tell you?” She shifted from one foot to the other, mindful of her full bladder. “Tell me what?” she sassed impatiently with a hand on her hip. Xavier held her gaze looking her dead in the eyes. “I’m moving in.”