Chapter 5 - Introductions

“Rina!” I called out to her after school ended.

“Someone’s in high spirits.” She laughed. “How’d go?”

“Pretty well I guess, we’re more than just friends now.”

“Wowww, that’s really fast! How’d you tell him?”

“I just said that I thought we clicked really well and then I told him I liked him.” I said, walking with her through the crowded hallway.

“No way. And just like that, you guys are dating?”

“Not really. Like I said, we’re more than friends. I’m not really sure if that makes us a couple.”

“At least you know he’s comfortable with you!”

“Yup! I’m glad that it worked out so well.”

“Are you gonna tell Tomomi and Haru-senpai?”

“They’re gonna find sooner or later anyways. Might as well tell them earlier because even if Haruna doesn’t tease me, Tomo will. Better to let her get bored of it sooner so that she’ll stop.”

“Hahaha true. Tomomi does tease you a lot, but that’s only because you’re her best friend!”

“It’s only times like this that I wish we weren’t so close.” I sighed, my smile still not dropping.

“Alright, let’s hurry on for practice! Haru-senpai and Tomomi should be waiting for us at the studio already!”

===============

Arriving in the studio, I saw Haruna and Tomomi already starting their individual practice. Then I noticed Ryota quietly sitting in the corner and I smiled at him. Rina nudged me and gave me a wink.

I beckoned Ryota to come to me. He wrinkled his forehead quizzically, but still got up and came toward me. As soon as he came close enough, I grabbed hold of his hand.  I gave him a cheesy grin and he blushed red.

“EHHHH MAMITASU!” Tomomi suddenly shouted. Her mouth fell into an “o” shape as she pointed at me. Haruna got a fright and jumped.

“Tomo! Stop shouting in my ear!” She said while turning to face me. When she saw me holding Ryota’s hand, her eyes widened for a moment before her face went back to her usual impassive demeanor.

Rina just smiled and clapped her hands together. Both Haruna and Tomomi turned to Rina.

“You knew about this?”

“Mami told you first instead of me?” Tomomi frowned.

“Listen guys, I asked Rina because she was the most appropriate one to ask. Tomo, you would have just teased me while Haruna would just have told me to focus on my studies.”

“Which is what you should be doing. Focusing on your studies instead of flirting with guys.” Haruna narrowed her eyes and snapped.

“I’m not flirting. I’m serious about this.” I replied indignantly.

“Whatever. As long as your “dates” don’t happen to spoil our practice sessions.”

Sensing that Haruna might be getting angsty, Tomomi tried to lighten the atmosphere by patting both mine and Ryota’s heads. “They’d probably make the practice sessions the dates, seeing how they only have time to meet each other here! All the more she’d arrive early for practice and she’d be more committed! Wouldn’t that be killing two birds with one stone?”

Haruna just ignored us, but when she turned I saw the edges of her mouth curling up into a small smile. I guess she really was happy for the both of us. I gave Tomomi a thumbs-up.

“I can see that. There’s a mirror here for a reason.”

We all just laughed.

===============

“Well that wasn’t awkward. But at least it’s over.” Ryota half-grinned. We were leaving the studio and were making our way back home. Behind us, I could hear Tomomi and Rina gossiping away.

“I’m sorry I made it so awkward…”

“That’s fine.” He laughed. “That’s one of the reasons I like you. You’re straight to the point, you’re daring, you’re blunt. Your personality perfectly compliments mine. You’d speak up for me even if I was too shy.”

“Your words almost wax poetic.” I smiled. “That’s what I get from a songwriter of course.”