Chapter 36:

"So how is it? It's  sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity to get to get to see your own funeral." Katsuo had staged a fight with a nearly unresponsive Jin before storming out and doubling back to sit beside Izuku who sat also dressed in a black suit on a bench in front of another tombstone, flowers in hand, and, of course, disguised.

Izuku laughed sadly, "It's actually now my third time. Did you know they had a funeral for Izumi? It wasn't a small or rich town or even particularly connected with each other or anything like that... I barely knew anyone there actually. And yet, three months after Izumi disappeared into the forest after their guardians death... everyone grouped together and held a funeral.... the casket was white then too, although they buried it by the forest, much the same was said, bit smaller crowd the last times though, seems each one the crowd grows a bit."

"You refer to Izumi as if you aren't them." Katsuo glanced over them curiously.

"I'm not anymore," Izuku's eyes followed the coffin idly as it was carried to the hole, "Izumi died the moment the casket was lowered, the same with the funeral before that- or rather the moment the urn was taken away. This funeral," he gestured to where much of UA, all of the old class 1-A, and many heroes had gathered, on the other side- clearly separated- were the civilians, vigilantes, and other non-heroes  who he had helped along the way or who had just wanted to attend. It was a fairly large crowd with easily over a few hundred people. Katsuo noted that many of which were as well disguised as Deku himself was, if not better. The front row, reserved for those who knew him especially well and with a good two dozen chairs available, was empty besides three of them.  "This funeral is for Deku."  He stared at the coffin as it was lowered into the ground, the poppies and wild roses he held in his hand twirling gently around by their joined stems, he paused as he glanced down at the flowers,  "Although these are more for Hideki I believe... I guess I became more used to being him than I thought...." he sighed again.

People were called up to say a few words. Suzie burst into tears, Cogitatio only held onto Aire tighter. Nezu went to move, but froze at the icy look Sare directed towards him. If he tried to say anything after all he had done to make this a public affair, she would make a scene. He mouthed something. She smiled back as if her lips were made of stone and it physically pained her to do so. Then she rose and walked to the hole that the coffin had been oh so carefully lowered into, dropping a paper into it with the coffin. Then she moved to the microphone.

"I've been asked not to reveal his name here, I can agree to that, here is not exactly the place for these sorts of disagreements. The name most of you only recently came to know of him as was Deku, as in can't do anything. For him, it was a reminder of something in his past that he didn't like to speak of. But Deku rarely spoke of the past without reason anyway. He was a kind person who would go out of his way to help anybody no matter their story, reputation, quirk, or appearance- which is not something many can say. He did it because he truly cared and for no other reason and that is something even fewer people can truthfully say about themselves. It was what made him such an inspiration to me. He didn't want fame, money, recognition, he wasn't trying to prove a point. Deku was, well, Deku, because he wanted to help others live better lives, whatever the cost. There has never been anyone like him before, and likely, there never will again. He was an outgoing person and had a smile for everyone, but when it came down to it he was a private person and had very few friends who he would trust. I had the privilege of being one of those very few people, we were a group of six, helping anybody whether they were hero, villain, or civilian as long as they were not seeking to harm others." She gave a bitter smile and looked directly at Nezu, "Clearly, it earned him some enemies," she pointedly looked away, "but to him it never seemed to matter what he was asked to sacrifice; his time, money, space, freedom, or even his own happiness, as long as he was allowed his continued ability to help others as much as he was able to, and I firmly believe this death wouldn't have happened if that hadn't been taken away from him. I said at the beginning that now was not a traditionally acceptable time for these sorts of disputes, but Deku was never a traditionalist, he did things his way, and I believe if he is watching from above he'll find this one humorous."