Don't Start a War pt. 2

Here's the second part I promised to post but to be honest have been too obsessed with my Stardew Valley to even write it. It's 4 am...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't long till Geralt and I found a camp of Cintran people slaughtered by the Nilfgaardian army that is sweeping through the land that was owned by Cintra. There we found an old man dragging bodies around to bury them.

I hid behind the nearby treeline, though the old man was rude to Geralt he was sincere in the fact that he'd like them to have a proper burial. Geralt though peeved tells the man it's not worth his time nor the danger.

"With the hands of two, I could move quicker." The old man bargained, but Geralt takes Roach's reins again ready to leave the man in the danger of the night.

"The only thing you should do quickly is flee." Geralt warns him, I feel something coming he must hear them coming. But the old man resumes to ignoring Geralt.

"Come, Roach, to Kear Morhen" He makes eye contact me to signal its time to move.

The old man calls out once more, I almost want to help him. But Geralt's gaze keeps me put; we need to get to Kear Morhen before winter comes.

Then mentions towards the bodies with a scowl, he grumbles to Geralt about innocence caught in the crossfire of a one-sided war. 

"We owe it to 'em to do better" He bargains again, Geralt grunts but looks at the bodies too. He is not cold-hearted it is just we are on a time limit.

"I'm not better." The silver wolf grumbles to the man that continues to call him a butcher.

That's when we really heard it. They were here. A pack of ghouls and we are caught with their meal. Geralt quickly slashes the first to launch and I prepare to back him up. Dashing out of the tree line with my swords lined up to strike. The old man is toppled to the ground and Geralt pulls back just in time before grabs a hold of me.

"Go home." He warns the man. He rushes back to stand with the two of us.

"I can help" He offers. I look over in total disbelief.

"One bite will kill you." I snap at him, "or you" he retorts to the two of us. Geralt is fed up with the conversation he goes in for another slash.

"Go... Home..." He grunts already tired from the heavy blows and the late night. He agrees and flees leaving Geralt and me with one less person to watch over. We make eye contact once more before we jump back into the fight. We've travelled together knowing that each hunt could be our last, this one might be it. We are exhausted they won't stay down.

A slash, a cut. There are flies everywhere buzzing wildly, loudly in our ears. Screeching and grunting. They don't stop coming. Before I know it I hear Geralt grunt lowly behind me.

"Fuck." I whip around to see him bleeding. Panic sets in. But he only sighs, I watch him grow weaker. The sun is going to come soon, just a little longer, I need to hold out a little longer. I take a stance in front of him and throw him a small smile.

It didn't take long before I grow too tired to fight back I miss the one flanking me on the side. Suddenly I feel the searing pain peeling from the wound, it spreads fast, it settles in with the exhaustion.

I collapse near him, my hand crawling against the ground to find his.

"Not a happy ending after all? All I asked you to do was not to start a war..." I chuckle in vain my vision blurring. He grunted in response.

"... a fitting end..?" Geralt whispers quietly and only hum as Roash approaches us.

"Hm? Roach?" The buzzing of the flies and Geralt's breathe is all I can hear as everything starts to fade.

________________________________________________________________________________

I am startled my Geralt's mumbling in his rest, we are not dead yet. If not him then why not me? Witchers have slower heartbeats but mine is just like everyone else so why am I still breathing?

But soon he begins to yell, there is a name I've never heard. I want to quell his stress but my limbs are heavy. I remain groggy in what I would assume to be a carriage, he awakens but I stay. He asks the merchant about a woman. But he only gets a chuckle in response, he tells Gerald faintly that he's a merchant and has nothing- offers him the law of surprise, I inwardly chuckle at the statement but I am becoming faint again before I can hear them finish.  

________________________________________________________________________________

I awaken once more. The pain this time is fading. Geralt has me propped his lap, fingers untangling my battle-worn hair. It is peaceful here, there is a new voice present, limbs still regaining strength. The merchant and his wife exchange words.

Geralt suddenly stops. I feel a tug- not from him but something else. He is up and out of the cart, I am slow to follow him despite him only walking. The merchant calls out but I didn't care nor' did he. I couldn't leave his side at this moment and he needed to find something. I had to follow him through fog no matter how painful.

He stops in the midst as if awoken from a trance but turns around hardly looking at me as he starts the other way.

But I see her.

She is here.

Right in front of me, a child I've never know but I feel as if I've known all my life.

He feels her too, she coming bolting through the trees and the mist. His breath leaves him as she comes to us. She looks him in the eyes and I could feel it- the connection.

They pull into an embrace, so pure, but destiny is fulfilled.

"People liked by destiny will always find each other," He says as he looks over to meet my eyes. Relief pours over and the pain is an afterthought as I wrap my arm around her shoulders and his waist.

"All you had to do was start a damned war," I mumble in his arm as snuggle close to them feeling complete with both of them near me.

________________________________________________________________________________

IT'S FINALLY DONE!?