Chapter 11 - Ancient Art

The moment you reach a display on a past Italian president, the Winter Soldier turns to face you. "What was that?" He demands, looking back and forwards between you and the ticket booth.

"You do know I have powers, right?" You question.

He opens his mouth, stops, and closes it again. "Well, yes. But I thought you could stop people's hearts and mess with their minds."

"Stop people's hearts and mess with their minds?" You echo. "That's all they told you I could do?"

You take his silence as a yes. You guess that would make sense, the only time you had been instructed to use your powers on a mission with the Winter Soldier was to stop a man's heart if you missed the shot.

He seems to debate whether he actually wants to know before asking, "What exactly can you do?"

Your not sure if you really want to answer. It's not that you think he'll be scared of you, he's the Winter Soldier for crying out loud, but you feel like he almost... trusts you. To an extent. But finding out that you could invade his privacy or snap his neck with barely a thought? For all he knows, you've been reading his thoughts this entire time.

But at his insistent look, you relent, "Essentially, I'm telekinetic. But instead of just moving objects around, I can move almost anything. Including light, water, someone's heart or my own skin. I can turn people into puppets." You lower your voice, realising someone could easily overhear you, "Then there's the telepathy side. I can read minds and thoughts, and change them."

The Winter Soldier turns away from you, running a hand through his hair. He stands like this for a couple of seconds, facing a map of he museum as he processes what you've just said. You feel like you should say something before the silence becomes permanent, "Look, I know it's-"

"Have you ever read my mind?" He interrupts.

"No," you hasten to explain.

He gives a small nod, and you breathe a sigh of relief that he believes you. "What about other Hydra soldiers'?"

Shaking your head, you throw him a rueful smile, "Not if I can help it, besides, that's not somewhere you want to be."

At his quirked eyebrow, you elaborate, "Most of it's a big blur, but from what I remember, I used to always hear people's thoughts. It was like I couldn't turn it off. For a while I had to watch people's mouths just so I could be sure they were talking and not thinking, but you can imagine the idea that gave some Hydra men."

He considers this for a second, maybe relating it to however he became a super soldier, "But now you can control it?"

You nod your head yes. "Well, most of the time," you amend. "Sometimes, if people are angry or confused or another strong emotion, their thoughts can be harder to ignore."

"What's it like?" He pushes on.

"Well, okay, um," How do you explain a part of yourself? "Imagine your mind is.... a hand!" You exclaim, pleased at your analogy.

"A hand?" He questions dubiously.

"Yes, a hand." You continue to explain, "I can reach into other people's minds, dig through them and move things around. Of course, if I slip and knock the edges of their minds, they might realise I'm there."

He nods once in understanding, "And you can read anyone's mind? Anyone at all?"

"Well, I can't-" You cut your self off abruptly, hesitating.

It's one thing to tell him about your powers, but another to let him know all your shortcomings and secrets.

Sensing your pause, the Winter Soldier gently urges you, "Can't what?"